Question Why is my PC crashing when I change my memory speeds?

iScatter

Honorable
Sep 24, 2014
Components:

Ryzen 5 1500x
Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 - CF
ASUS Gtx 1060 6GB
Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8) LPX RAM

Issue:

Recently, I upgraded from a Crucial Ballistix 8Gb (1x1) RAM Kit and replaced it with a Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8) LPX RAM Kit. At first my computer did was able to boot, but the memory was running at 2133 MHz. So I changed some settings in my bios and then the pc would not boot/ boot after 3 resets. I upgraded my bios, scanned for corrupted files (sfc / scannow), and Windows Memory Diagnostic tested. Eventually I was able to boot with the proper speed but would blue screen shortly after (Stop Codes: System_Service_Exception, Memory_Management, and IQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL).

I then tried memtest86 to see which sticks may have been faulty and came to the conclusion that one of them was faulty, but when I memtested them with the default settings in Bios (2133 MHz), the results gave no errors. Therefore I am able to use my ram at the default settings but nothing higher. Is there anything else I can do to run it at the correct speed or is it better to return it? Is it a motherboard compatibility issue?

Components:

Ryzen 5 1500x
Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 - CF
ASUS Gtx 1060 6GB
Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8) LPX RAM

Issue:

Recently, I upgraded from a Crucial Ballistix 8Gb (1x1) RAM Kit and replaced it with a Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8) LPX RAM Kit. At first my computer did was able to boot, but the memory was running at 2133 MHz. So I changed some settings in my bios and then the pc would not boot/ boot after 3 resets. I upgraded my bios, scanned for corrupted files (sfc / scannow), and Windows Memory Diagnostic tested. Eventually I was able to boot with the proper speed but would blue screen shortly after (Stop Codes: System_Service_Exception, Memory_Management, and IQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL).

I then tried memtest86 to see which sticks may have been faulty and came to the conclusion that one of them was faulty, but when I memtested them with the default settings in Bios (2133 MHz), the results gave no errors. Therefore I am able to use my ram at the default settings but nothing higher. Is there anything else I can do to run it at the correct speed or is it better to return it? Is it a motherboard compatibility issue?
What settings did you change ? Did you try with XMP first ?

Jul 7, 2020
Same here
I have an amd ryzen 5 2600, xfx fatboy rx 580 8gb, gigabyte b450-ds3h, corsair vengeance 3600 mhz 16 gb (2×8) LPX pc

I tried upgrading my ram, from crucial ballistix 8gb (2×4) 2666 mhz, to 16gb corsair. After the installation, i went into the bios and changed the settings from 2133 mhz to 3600 mhz. Everything was working fine, untill i ran call of duty modern warfare, and my system crashed. I used msi burner to find out why, and was suspicious of the gpu overheating. So, i went and increased the fan speed on the gpu and case fans. Once again, my game crashes. There were moments when i got the blue screen of death as well, if the same stop code:SYSTEM-SERVICE_EXCEPTION. I opened up my case, to see if i need to buy a new case, but it crashed too. I ran memtest86, and passed.Next, i went back to my previous ram sticks, changed the ram speed, and ran Call of duty, with no issue. Furthermore, my gpu was over 165°F+ and still playing at the highest settings.in addition, the panels of my case were on. Later, i went back and put in the corsair ram and left the ram speed at auto, and... it didnt crash. I am really confused as to why that is.