[SOLVED] Why is my RAM usage so high?

Apr 6, 2020
For some reason when idle or even in chrome my RAM usage can go up to 50 - 70%. I have an 8GB ram but for some reason i am only able to access 6.2GB? Im not exactly a techy person, so i dont really understand why my RAM is so low. http://prntscr.com/rubtz9

This is only when chrome is opening, you can imagine the issues i get when running photoshop, cs go and general usage. If you look at the screenshots there is no way that RAM usage adds up to 4GB. i dont understand whats wrong with my
laptop.

heres a screenshot of the memory on task manager http://prntscr.com/rubv1h

Solution
Google Chrome uses a lot of RAM, because we want fast loading pages, less crashes, better security and a bunch of open tabs.

Every tab and extension on Chrome has its own process, so if one crashes, it doesn’t bring down the browser. Also if an unsecured webpage is opened it won't affect other tabs.

Chrome’s has a feature called prerendering, which makes web pages load faster. Disabling will release some RAM space back into the system, but webpages will open slower.

Also, we should take in consideration that a lot of extensions and poor written websites could cause memory leaks, causing higher RAM usage.
Could you post your system model or its components.
Part of your system RAM could be allocated to integrated graphics.
Google Chrome is a memory hog.
As I write this, with only Chrome open (12 tabs) my system is using 6.5 GB of RAM. Chrome using 3.1 GB.
Close Google Chrome (including background processes) and most of your RAM will be available.

MurdyPlay

Prominent
Jul 12, 2019
if you have amd cpu, and you dont have gpu. CPU graphics eats system memory (1gb on intel, 2gb on amd)
about the usage. Google chrome is pretty bad for low end machines like yours. Best beowser for you is Microsoft Edge Chromium or lite browser like Opera

Today's browsers are absolutely ridiculous memory hogs. When I start the newest versions on some of my older systems, they practically choke. And then when you check them on speed-battle.com, they're slower than older versions. The browser upgrade cycle is a bloatware nightmare.

The only real solution is to throw more memory at it. I had issues on the i3-4130 that I'm using right now when it had 8gb. After upping to 16gb, it's a lot better. Totally ridiculous, but it worked.

Google Chrome uses a lot of RAM, because we want fast loading pages, less crashes, better security and a bunch of open tabs.

Every tab and extension on Chrome has its own process, so if one crashes, it doesn’t bring down the browser. Also if an unsecured webpage is opened it won't affect other tabs.

Chrome’s has a feature called prerendering, which makes web pages load faster. Disabling will release some RAM space back into the system, but webpages will open slower.

Also, we should take in consideration that a lot of extensions and poor written websites could cause memory leaks, causing higher RAM usage.

Solution
Apr 6, 2020
HP Pavilion
i7-75000 CPU @2.7GHz
8G RAM
Nvidia Geforce GTX 950M
Intel HD Graphic 620

I see, I will try disabling any extensions and possibly run it in incognito mode if I'm using google chrome in the future. Also i assume when you buy an 8GB Ram slot, all 8GB would be usable but I'm under the impression only around 6.2GB is being used? Is this normal or is there a way to fix this, thanks in advance.