Question Why is my SSD write so slow!

Jun 26, 2019
My 90GB SSD is a 500MB/s read/write drive and it's doing 480/125.
I formatted the drive, secure erased, made sure the firmware was up to date, ran a manual trim, tried another SATA3 controller via PCI-e 8x RAID card, fresh OS, nothing has worked.
It's a Corsair Force GT
I'm still getting about 125MB/s write.
According to the Corsair toolbox it has 9.7TB reads and 7.2TB writes.

Please help. Is my SSD on it's way out?

My 2 SSD striped raid is only doing about 200 MB/s write on SATA2 and 540MB/s read. So this is really pissing me off right now that both are having write issues.

Jun 26, 2019
You're on SATA 2 which limits you to 200-250MB/s so in a strip you are doing really well. You need Sata3 to achieve 500+MB/s.

The 90GB is not know for writing very fast.
https://ssd.userbenchmark.com/SpeedTest/2377/Corsair-Force-GT
I know the limits of SATA2 lol. The 90GB drive is on SATA3 previously benchmarked at over 400MB/s a year or two ago when I swapped motherboards. The 2 250GB drives are on SATA2 and raided to overcome SATA2 limits. Previously benched at over 400MB/s as well. It seems as though all 3 drives are topping out at around 125MB/s for some odd odd reason. Steam must have a high overhead for downloads because I was able to download at 80-90MB/s when I got my Gig internet last year and yesterday I was struggling to do over 35MB/s because the RAID drives were maxed out. Unless everyone's Corsair Force GTs crapped out at the same time that makes no sense. It's rated around 500MB/s read/write confirmed by me in previous benchmarks. I've owned that drive since it was new.

I checked the things in that article and everything checks out.
Any other suggestions???

Jun 26, 2019
Sigh... Let's try this again.
1-2 years ago, write speed (Crystal disk sequential benchmark) was around a normal 400MB/s as per spec on SATA3.
Today, only the write speed (Crystal disk sequential benchmark) has changed and is now terribly slow maxing out at 125MB/s. I have run the secure erase utility to rule out a full drive. Nothing else has changed and I am using the same controller and benchmark software. I have even tried other SATA3 and SATA2 controllers with the same exact 125MB/s result.

My raid drive is a non issue now. I moved them to my Adaptec RAID controller (SATA3) and they are now benching at (Crystal disk sequential benchmark) 1GB/s read and 600MB/s write. Individually they were only doing 250MB/s write on the same controller so that RAID result is quite a surprise.

I hope this problem description is more clear as to what I have seen with my own eyes and rules out bandwidth concerns with SATA2.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
The various patches that have been released to deal with Intel's security vulnerabilities over the past year or so have had significant impacts on storage performance. If I recall correctly, older generations of CPUs are affected even more significantly.

I don't know if that'd account for the entirety of the performance decrease you're seeing, but I imagine it'd at least be a factor.