[SOLVED] Why is the 5ghz option on my wifi so spotty for my PC when my iPad/android phone both connect well and have faster speeds? And is it fixable?

mjj1998

Reputable
Jul 25, 2016
I am on Windows 10, my wifi adapter is the EDUP ac600Mbps Dual Band USB Adapter. My computer is around 20 feet away from the router, same as my iPad and phone. And there are devices in my house that are way further away and also have better connections than my PC.

I get better download speeds with the 5ghz connection, though not as high as my phone or iPad. However, if I'm playing a multiplayer game and connected to Discord at the same time, I will frequently drop connection and have poor call quality on Discord. And I will disconnect from the multiplayer game. This doesn't happen with the 2ghz option.

But I feel like I'm missing out on faster speeds and consistent connections that I'm not able to utilize for whatever reason.

My current speedtest.net tests for my PC show around 110 Mbps download and 15 Mbps upload for my PC. And my iPad gets around 300 Mbps download and 23 Mbps upload. I don't believe I got a subpar WiFi adapter. So is it software based? Or something I can't help?

My main issue is the consistency of the connection. If I can fix that I would be very happy. Unfortunately it's not very easy to test if it's fixed or not.

Thank you for any help.

kanewolf

Titan
I am on Windows 10, my wifi adapter is the EDUP ac600Mbps Dual Band USB Adapter. My computer is around 20 feet away from the router, same as my iPad and phone. And there are devices in my house that are way further away and also have better connections than my PC.

I get better download speeds with the 5ghz connection, though not as high as my phone or iPad. However, if I'm playing a multiplayer game and connected to Discord at the same time, I will frequently drop connection and have poor call quality on Discord. And I will disconnect from the multiplayer game. This doesn't happen with the 2ghz option.

But I feel like I'm missing out on faster speeds and consistent connections that I'm not able to utilize for whatever reason.

My current speedtest.net tests for my PC show around 110 Mbps download and 15 Mbps upload for my PC. And my iPad gets around 300 Mbps download and 23 Mbps upload. I don't believe I got a subpar WiFi adapter. So is it software based? Or something I can't help?

My main issue is the consistency of the connection. If I can fix that I would be very happy. Unfortunately it's not very easy to test if it's fixed or not.

Thank you for any help.
Which EDUP adapter? Postva link to the exact adapter... If it doesn't have a larger external antenna, then that is why it doesn't work as well.

kanewolf

Titan
Solution

mjj1998

Reputable
Jul 25, 2016
Is this adapter plugged into the top/front USB or the back of the motherboard USB? If the back, then the PC case may be blocking it.
You get lower total performance because you only have one radio/antenna in you adapter. Your iPad and phone have two.

Which wifi adapter would you recommend I get on Amazon then to solve this issue? Cause it is plugged into the motherboard at the back of the case.