Why is tom'sHARDWARE so biased against AMD GPU's???

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mick500

Honorable
Feb 23, 2012
Just wondering why tom'sHARDWARE articles and reviews are so biased against AMD GPU's??? Are they paid by Nvidia?? Some of the stuff they come up with in the articles are ridiculous and fanciful, even failing to switch the r9 290x to uber mode for the review and calling it a cherry picked card?? If i were AMD i would never send tom's another product to review after that incompetence mixed with insult.

Honestly, nothing they do is snakier than anything that Intel or nVidia do but a lot of what they do is more honest. I remember when nVidia changed their drivers so that your GeForce card couldn't run PhysX if a Radeon card was detected in the system (even though you PAID for a card that could run PhysX). Intel makes you buy a new motherboard every time you upgrade your CPU along with all the anti-trust crap they've pulled. You can't compare them because Intel and nVidia are guilty of all the same things that AMD is guilty of and are also guilty of things that AMD has never done. AMD is a corporation out to make money and all I said was that they are more consumer-friendly than Intel or nVidia. That's not necessarily saying much is it? It's true that Bulldozer didn't deliver what was promised but AMD suffered for that more than anyone else. Almost nobody bought their bulldozer CPU which is why it's still available from newegg. If you want to talk about not delivering on promises, how about Intel graphics (in all its forms), Intel Ultrabooks (I can't believe you forgot about that one) and nVidia's Fermi architecture? I get my information here, Guru3D and from [H]ardOCP. If you don't mind his twisted sense of humour, Charlie Demerjian from semiaccurate.com also has brilliant investigative journalism on upcoming industry trends. That's my top four sites right there.

Remember, if AMD dies, what do you think Intel will do to all of us? I can only imagine and none of the scenarios are pretty.

Big +1
Intel and Nvidia are both snakes that are more greedy than anything.
Intels latest thing was when mobo manufacturers found a way to unlock overclocking on NON-Z motherboards, Intel threw a tantrum

NVidia with their Physx lockout is ridiculous (and may well lead them to sell LESS cards)

AMD is far from perfect but they are usually more open rather than anti-competitive.

Lets not forget AMD also made quite a few contributions to open source software

folem

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011

Their bias isn't in which brand is better, be it Intel vs AMD or NVidia vs AMD. It is how overstated they are about which they prefer. Intel makes a better CPU and NVidia (generally) makes an overall better GPU. In both cases AMD usually wins the performance per price battle, and occasionally they beat NVidia in the target performance branch, but they also almost always use a lot more power, which means more heat, and more noise. Those things matter to gamers and artists, whom are generally the target audience of Tom's. If you ask an Engineer or Scientist, those aren't generally too concerning, but what is to us, is that all AMD GPUs support 64-bit floating point calculations, whereas most nVIDA [Kepler] ones do not, with or without CUDA.

So in general, Tom's does usually pick the winner as far as which chip you want to have if you don't have to pay for it, but they don't consider price as much as most of their readers probably will. That is where their bias lies, the writers and reviewers don't have to pay for the gear they are covering.

folem

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011

I won't hold Intel requiring a new socket motherboard for every new CPU generation because, in general, this allows them to move their chipset capabilities much faster than AMD does. And AMD is starting to do the same thing with their FM series sockets.

If you think they are not concerned about the price you need to read this! http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107.html

rolli's correct, Tom's Hardware articles usually do take price into account, they had the 7870 XT up there on the best GPUs for the money for months when powercolor had those on sale for under 200 bucks, the 7950 was up there when Sapphire had that 200 buck sale going, and the recommended buy articles had the R9 280x on there when that was released because it had unbeatable price/performance. It was only Nvidia dropped their prices did they put the GTXs back into the radar.

Retaliator

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011

LOL a mate of mine has 7970 GHZ editions in crossfire and has nothing but issues cant even run BF4 on anything higher than Medium or its unplayable , Each user's experience is different, My personal experience and that of alot of people I know are the same alot of trouble from AMD, Ive had trouble with Nvidia cards in the past too buddy so dont think im an Nvidia Fanboy, but atm I wouldnt touch a Radeon unless it was liquid cooled and not planning a multicard setup.

And I agree that AMD is more supportive but they are trying too hard to beat Nvidia atm and are cutting corners.

Id also like to point out to all those comparing the R9 290X to the Titan check the release dates , Radeon R9 290X - Oct 24, 2013 as opposed to GeForce GTX Titan - February 19, 2013. The newer released High-End card should perform better, And the 290X doesnt perform that much better for the heat and throttling issues, If AMD had of released a decent cooler I woulda brought 1 as I was waiting for them to be released, but due to My mates having crossfire issues with both 79XX cards and 5XXX Series cards and my own AMD issues I chose a GTX780 this time around and am very happy with the hardware and software. And my mate with Crossfire 7970GHZ editions still has so many issues he has to disable X-Fire to make alot of games playable so u may not have issues but alot of others do.

Retaliator

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011

This I agree with Entirely, Nvidia Products are always overpriced, No argument here on that.

Retaliator

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011

Just 1080p ATM, Average frame rates 100-120 Never drops below 80 Even in intense scenes. With Ever setting on Ultra And Filtering at Max.

mr91

Distinguished
Tom Logan also prefers the 780 ti over the 290x - I find that Tom Logan explains overclocking better than anyone else on the internet.

Tomshardware is the best in general in my opinion however they don't focus on overclocking as much.

But do you remember why that situation came about? Do you remember who it was who said that you as an AMD/ATi user didn't want PhysX?

There are AMD fanboys just as there are Nvidia fanboys. My job (well, more of a pastime) here is to help people and suggest the ideal graphics cards to suit people's needs and wants, regardless of it being Nvidia or AMD or Burger King. Everyone has their personal preferences. I have no particular preference although I respect AMD more, because they price their stuff more attractively and don't nickel and dime for every extra bit of performance or tech like some other companies do. It better coincides with the CONSUMERS' interests which I always take into account when helping people out in the forums.

To the OP, If you are not here to seek help or make constructive discussions I suggest not making accusations of anyone/anything being biased. If you insist what you suggest is better then justify it instead of calling other people biased or fanboys.

You keep citing this argument. But it is irrelevant. You cannot grasp that just
because users didn't care about official support doesn't mean its right to gimp functionality on purpose.

It's not irrelevant it's just that you don't or can't understand how corporations work and how they deal with their competitors and ex employees slagging them off.

Burger King fanboi detected, Carl's Jr. is far superior...

As we are humans we are allowed to have preferences and opinions as well as anybody else, if you don't like that then perhaps you should start your own website forum and then you would be able to stipulate how the moderators are allowed to think.

IrwanCahyono

Honorable
Jan 10, 2013
I guess that's what it is. AMD, Intel, nVidia or whatever it is, .. This what make this business and things looked colorful. Sure do, you can bitching AMD with all you want to say. But, amd is what they are. I love AMD. But currently i use nVidia. It's not about which one the best suit for everyone, it's about which the best suit for anyone.

And my opinion about THW's review toward amd's product is quite fair. I'd pull my last comment in this thread with a certain corrections.

AMD's stuffs has been a great deal for the value segment. Maybe it is destined to be that way..

TRENDING THREADS