why more than 1Ghz?

G

Why do we really need more than a Ghz? Is there really any game out there that will be able to properly utilize that?

G

No not games yet! for games you need faster Graphics card.
But for 3D rendering, Video compression, Image processing usw.

---
Engage!

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Don't ask such questions! Questions like that should be abolished!!
That is something my wife would ask.
Yes we need it, we need all the the strange computer things we buy, but don't ask why we need them, we just do.

jeffg007

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
To run seti baby!
Join tom's hardware team!
<A HREF="http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/cgi-bin/cgi?cmd=team_lookup&name=tom's+hardware+guide" target="_new">http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/cgi-bin/cgi?cmd=team_lookup&name=tom's+hardware+guide</A>

get seti here!
<A HREF="http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu" target="_new">http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu</A>

Jeff

Kodiak

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
>> Games are not the only thing out there.

of course not... they're just the only thing that matters! :p

Seriously though, for a great number of systems, if not majority, games are the highest-demanding applications. Sure, there are people who do CAD & 3d design, professional graphics etc, but they are after all a minority -- however large one. And I'm not 100% sure that 2d graphics (photoshop etc) are as much dependable on raw performance (CPU MHz etc) as much as memory and bandwith...

smn198

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Not really right now but there will be. For now you get the fastest CPU out there. Later you don't have to upgrade.

G

Because the processor of today will run the software of tomorrow. Processors of a few years back won't be powerful enough to run software made a few years in the future. If your current computer isn't powerful enough to run todays software (100mhz Pentium), then upgrade it so it wil run today's software and software made a few years in the future.

G

WHY?! just because!

Faster processor, render things faster.
Faster processor, FPS in 3d games gets higher.
Faster processor, live better.
Faster processor, (pls. fill in blanks.)

<font color=orange>What do you think? :wink: </font color=orange>

G

A better quetsion would be why more then 1 ghz right now ?
then i would say that unless yuo are going to use yuor system for very demanding tasks its pure nonsense. Thow there are people out there who have a alotr of money and disagree... Games .. well buy a faster graphics board... much easier and just as expensive

my two cents

G

alexlck, CPU isn't the bottleneck for today's games, graphics cards are. In 1024x768x32 and higher, any CPU above 800MHz will give you the same FPS when using identical graphics cards. If you're putting together a gaming system, it's better to save a couple hundred bucks on CPU and put them into a top-of-the-line GPU, like a GeForce2 Ultra.

G

The opposite side to that is, buy a couple steps back on technology. Advantages:
1. You'll pay about 1/2 to a 1/3 the price for your components (if not less) allowing you to upgrade more often and not having to worry as much about whether the next big thing will make your system worthless as you'll only have it a year. :)
2. You'll have a more stable system. Give the engineers and beta testers (read enthusiasts, jk guys) time to work out all the compatibility issues between parts and get drivers and BIOSes updated.
3. You keep your old parts/systems as they're not completely useless by the time you're upgraded. If something fails you'll have spare parts and/or system(s) around.

I use this plan. I effectively get a new system that's a couple steps back on everything every year or so (between upgrading parts that is and the new system every 2 - 3 years). Give the old ones to family or the kids or donate em to charity.

"The answer is not in your hair."
"I'd rather jump in the lava than be fragged by you."