Why Mozilla Needs To Go Into Survival Mode

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
I'm seriously not happy with the last firefox patch 3.6.2 I think. It is even more unstable than IE8. Every time I download something, unstable, when print a paper, unstable, 3 tabs open, unstable. I FF and Chrome. Chrome mostly for vids and when 'm in the mood to navigate in a simple environment. FF personas are something that is awesome from the latest atches, probably the only thing thats gone right. I'll wait for the next FF release to say if I'm moving completely to Chrome.

rocky1234

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2008
I don't use Chrome because of the ugly way it looks it just looks like it was made by a bunch of high school stupids for a class project. I don't care if it is a bit faster make it look better & I will give it a try until then Firefox is my broswer & IE as backup. sry if this imsults the chrome fans it is just my opinion it is not in any way meant to try to sway people from it. Yes I have tried Chrome out used it for about a week it just reminds me of something that should be on an Apple Computer as it kinda matches the ugly Apple GUI.

CrimsonJustice

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2006
I haven't had any problems with the latest firefox browser. It is certainly much faster than it used to be, and I still love the addons. However, after trying out chrome, I really wish they would introduce some of the speed and multiple processes. Although I didn't stick with it, I did like how chrome could have separate windows with one in incognito mode and one in regular mode. The animations (new tabs, closing them, etc) were slick and fast, and the interface is nice. I do love the 3.7/4.0 mockup themes for firefox, and I use Strata40 to make them happen. Personas just don't cut it when the buttons look ugly. As much as I like firefox I'm starting to find much more interest elsewhere.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]cruiseoveride[/nom]Without real plugins, Chrome is useless to me.[/citation]

plug-in for what...crashes... no thanks. take a look at all the other browsers which have plug-ins...they do crash more often than the ones with no plug-ins.

terr281

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
At work, most of our users must use IE6 or IE7 to interface with company applications. For those of us in the IT dept, we all run 2-3 different browsers (IE 6 or IE7, Firebox, and Chrome) to test compatibility as well as our knowledge that some browsers work better in some circumstances.

Personally, I have to use IE7 due to my main company application, and I have to use Firefox 3.5 for several smaller applications. At home, for general browsing, I use Chrome due to its speed.

We all better hope that one-two browsers are the only things left to use... or we will be stuck with another IE6 again.

Ramar

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
I've read the browser benchmarks here and on other websites, and firefox isn't as outdated as you're all saying it is. In synthetic bullcrap, it can be, but in real performance it runs a nice 50/50 race with chrome. Specifically on tabbed browsing, where it beats every other browser into the dirt on speed and memory usage [I have 50 tabs open right now.]

azetec

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
This is a stupid article bro, first of all those who wanna became Google's slaves will go Chrome way, but those who wanna be free from Google Ads and Google constant spying on you, will chose Firefox way.

I have tried Chrome too but didn't got impressed by it, it just sux compared to Firefox, and it's speed was slow too, so everything you write on about Chrome I consider it bullshit, so come on just brag about your Google Chrome bullshit

thejerk

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
This is a stupid article bro, first of all those who wanna became Google's slaves will go Chrome way, but those who wanna be free from Google Ads and Google constant spying on you, will chose Firefox way.

I have tried Chrome too but didn't got impressed by it, it just sux compared to Firefox, and it's speed was slow too, so everything you write on about Chrome I consider it bullshit, so come on just brag about your Google Chrome bullshit

Cool story bro.

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
I may be a fool, but I have all 4 browsers and i can't really tell the difference between them. I use a mix of Safari and Chrome because I like to keep my login cookies to the same site different (ala multiple users) and if i need to do some hardcore web stuff (flash gaming, transactions) i kick in firefox. But overall i find Safari and Chrome to be faster than firefox.

I never use IE just because i'm scared of their bugs.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
I switched over to Chrome not too long ago from Firefox. I NEVER use IE8, even though it's better than IE7. I don't see myself giving IE9 much of a chance, either. I used Firefox before I got use to Chrome. The only reason I switched over, was at the time, I'd noticed certain websites would not come up with Firefox in the Windows 7 platform. I'm sure that problem has been fixed since but I'm already use to Chrome. I just wish I had real menus.

racerx_is_alive

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2007
Now that Chrome has extensions, I wonder if they'll start getting more grief about forced upgrades. It seems to me that the only reason FF users might not upgrade is because it would break some of their most important addons. For instance, if the Web Developer Toolbar was no longer being maintained, there'd be a strong temptation to stick with the last version it supported.

deck

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
HTML5 adoption is going to play a big role in the coming years. Mozilla's reluctance to support x264 and mp3 is going to hurt them going forward.

ncr7002

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2008
Microsoft was apparently getting back into the game with IE 6, 7 and 8 as well, but each new version has been utter crap, no reason to change the trend on IE 9. Speed means nothing if the browser is unsafe and full of security issues.

As for Chrome, a lot of basic stuff just doesn't work. It feels like a work in progress all the time. Sure it's fast and looks nice but after getting stuck twice on a ridiculous detail like not handling non-http protocol links correctly it goes out the window. Can't waste time dealing with such things.

Firefox market share is around 30% worldwide according to Tom's, so I guess we can expect a steady raise to 40% by 2011. As for funding, I'm sure they'll think of something if Google pulls out.

sidran32

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
[citation][nom]doomtomb[/nom]Obviously some people using Firefox are switching to Chrome. Chrome is growing so rapidly because it is backed by Google and it is fast and stable. Most people that I've seen using it are people that used to use Firefox or IE previously. Firefox is slow compared to Chrome[/citation]
Count me among those. I used Firefox since it was version 1.x and was the baby cousin to the Mozilla browser. But when Chrome came out and I let myself give it a spin for a while, I just couldn't go back. I used to evangelize Firefox, but now, I evangelize Chrome. :p

nahdogg

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
I dl chrome for my new laptop and it's been a crashomatic-fast is nice but constantly restarting my browser sucks. Very disapointed. I'm using IE8 but I'll toss FF on and give it a try.

sailfish

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2007
I used Chrome for awhile and went back to Firefox. While Chrome is somewhat speedier than than Firefox, it's not very aesthetic nor does it offer the same level of customization. Also, if IE9 does exploit the hardware as has been shown here earlier, that will certainly be a game-changer, as well.

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]lipoly[/nom]Maybe because its apparently so obvious...[/citation]
^^ This. And the character limit that titles have on this site may have come into play as well.

kewlx

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
[citation][nom]theholylancer[/nom]as long as customize google (remove ALL google ads, even in gmail, and forces SSH for gmail and other apps), adblock (removes the rest) and noscript exists for fire fox and not chrome or IE, firefox is here to stay for those that wants the cheap web experience with nothing to do with any advertisements.[/citation]
Chrome already has some of these...and they are awesome I love them plus I don't have to wait the 30 seconds to load my browser like my little bro does. chrome is pretty much instant even with a lots of things tacked onto it

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
[citation][nom]verun[/nom]I would not change to Google, even if it'd be 10 times faster than Firefox. Because it's freaking Google.[/citation]

What's that supposed to mean?

I use Chrome because I find it more appealing that Firefox because of it's speed, and I prefer the UI and find it easier to use than Firefox. Now if you can't get over your biases, then too bad for you. Now if I needed 10+addons to do what I wanted, then I would probably be using Firefox still, but I don't need many so I use Chrome...you can like a browser more, just have a reason for it.

marsax73

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
I like Chrome. I have been using it for the past month on my older laptop and it surfs fast. I used to like FF 2.0 but 3.X is getting slow. It used to be lean but now it is growing in size and feeling a bit sluggish. I had the greatest luck with IE 7 as far as stability and normal surfing. I use Opera Mini on my LG Vu cell phone. Awesome browser for mobile!

deividast

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
I read all this, and i'm happy that IE is dropping a bit down.... I hope they fall of the lead soon, just really hope the next leader won't be chrome or opera :) i like mozilla.... but my favorite at the time is safari and it works better for me than chrome, because i have some stupid issues then trying to handle pages with java or flash, while safari goes with flying colors :)

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Google tracks your browsing
Microsoft likely tracks your browsing

chrome's download window and overall look is horrid
IE is boring looking and not w3c compliant which makes programming pages for it annoying at best

Firefox has all the plugins you need, its faster than IE but not as fast as others, its w3c compliant, and it's download window is not only a pop up that is easily manageable but its also customizable. I set mine to not remember what I download and to close when it finishes downloading. That way it pops up, shows the progress, flashes in the taskbar when its done, and closes. Unlike opera or chrome where you have to go to a specific tab or special portion of the browser to get to your download window (and on those you cant stop it from remembering what you download so there's another step you have to perform every time you download something... clearing the list afterward).

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS