Why Mozilla Needs To Go Into Survival Mode

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Many Many Firefox users use tools to block metrix...these numbers are way off...

SlipUp

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010

Recent tests show that Firefox is not at all a memory hog.

G

I have ditched Firefox in favor of Chrome, which loads much faster and doesn't gobble up in excess of 800mb in memory.

SlipUp

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
I have ditched Firefox in favor of Chrome, which loads much faster and doesn't gobble up in excess of 800mb in memory.
Chrome actually uses more memory than Firefox because each tab is a separate process. Add together all chrome.exe processes, and you'll notice that it uses more. A lot more.

G

I don't think there's any chance internet explorer will recover.But google with its billion might became a very dangerous threat.

Daniel.
Scrabble Cheat

G

In the browser wars it has ALWAYS been about distribution. You have to pay to play.

Microsoft got its massive share by including it free with Windows. Firefox gets its distribution via Google Pack, Linux, the Dell and other deals. Chrome gets its distribution by being pumped on the Google home page, but more importantly by being included in the Google Pack that they pay partners to distribute.

Mozilla has plateaued. The only way they will continue to grow is if they sign a major US distribution deal, e.g. Java, Flash, Dell. The problem there is that they are competing with companies with much deeper pockets (Google, MSFT, Yahoo) who are willing to buy the distribution at a loss that Mozilla can't afford to match.

Firefox is a great product, but Mozilla is limited by its model and will always be an also-ran.

wilhelmjourdan

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
FYI chrome has plugins, but it is called EXTENSIONS... there's a wide choice you can select to almost all plugins you can find on Firefox browser has a version for Chrome.

G

"Chrome’s forced upgrade ensures you always have the latest version on your PC and, whether you like it or not, the strategy seems to be resonating with users" For me, this seemed like a reasonable strategy for a while. REcently, my Chrome browser started (randomly) starting to hang and take up 100% cpu for no reason I could see. Without any really clear way to roll back to another version, i've switched my default browser away from Chrome.

Bruceification73

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
"REcently, my Chrome browser started (randomly) starting to hang and take up 100% cpu for no reason I could see. Without any really clear way to roll back to another version, i've switched my default browser away from Chrome.

Weird, I was going to get Chrome as a second browser, but maybe I'll wait and see if they make improvements in that area.

G

Many times when I am on Firefox , which I really like, and click on a site,
I get a message that the server is busy and to try again. I then go on chrome and get right through to the site. Is Firefox that busy to cause this?

G

Is there any reason you did not include Opera in your speed comparisons? its latest version far ahead of FF and at least on par with Chrome.

As for FF being squeezed out of the market? It seems very unlikely, there will always be people unwilling to deal with Google.

Status
Not open for further replies.