[SOLVED] Why PC performance degraded after I upgraded my SATA SSD to M.2 NVME

shahfaraz

Honorable
Sep 29, 2016
I am using Intel 4790K with Asus Z97 PRO Gamer MB. Previously I was using Samsung 850 EVO. Recently I upgraded to Crucial P2 NVME SSD.

After the upgrade, I noticed that PC performance is decreased hugely. It takes 10X time to boot or shut down.

May anyone help me in this regard?

Solution
You didn't upgrade. You side-graded. The NVMe is limited to the same 6Gb/s pcie2.0 through the chipset, same as the EVO. Doesn't matter what drive you use, you'll be limited by pcie2.0 bandwidth and transmission speeds.

100mph minivan or 200mph Corvette makes no difference when the speed limit is 55mph and there's a cop driving behind you, always.

So any loss in performance will be due to setup. It'll be in the little things like using CSM and legacy bios vs full UEFI when you installed windows, a chipset that's already maxed out on pcie lanes, so the NVMe is running X2 instead of X4, MBR vs GPT, etc.

shahfaraz

Honorable
Sep 29, 2016
Did you do a clean install of Windows onto the new drive?

Or did you clone the old drive to the new drive?

Did you make any other changes in your hardware or software configuration?

Thanks for your reply.

I have done clean install of Windows 10. I didn't change any other hardware. No change in software too.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You didn't upgrade. You side-graded. The NVMe is limited to the same 6Gb/s pcie2.0 through the chipset, same as the EVO. Doesn't matter what drive you use, you'll be limited by pcie2.0 bandwidth and transmission speeds.

100mph minivan or 200mph Corvette makes no difference when the speed limit is 55mph and there's a cop driving behind you, always.

So any loss in performance will be due to setup. It'll be in the little things like using CSM and legacy bios vs full UEFI when you installed windows, a chipset that's already maxed out on pcie lanes, so the NVMe is running X2 instead of X4, MBR vs GPT, etc.

Solution

shahfaraz

Honorable
Sep 29, 2016

I disabled CSM and reinstalled Windows and all other softwares. Now my PC is as fast as it was before the upgrade (side-grade).

Thanks for your guidence.