[SOLVED] Why this game running badly on a better PC Config?

Jun 3, 2021
I have a i5 10400F cpu overcloked to 4,4ghz, with 8GB DDR4 ram, and a GT 740 2GB OC videocard.

With this config I have a really bad performance with old games (2000-2013 era games). Example Need for Speed Most Wanted, or Carbon and etc... Where I get to detailed areas, the performance drops from 60fps to 10, or even worst...

Before than, I have a Pentium G3450 3,4ghz, with 8GB DDR3 ram, with the same GT 740 2GB OC. But with this budget and poorly designed PC, I can run these games at 60fps, and never dropped back to 10fps area.

Is it because the bootleneck? The CPU doesn't really do much, the use like the cores about 1-10%, but the GPU looks struggling.

I have an ability to disable cores, or to somehow manage to run better these old games?

Solution
Yes, same SSD, same resolution, same windows 10. The only components that changed, I mentioned. I reading about the old games run on single core, that's what they ment to be optimized. But on a multi-core cpu, how can I manage to solve this problem?
If all you did was swap the motherboard, CPU, and RAM and did nothing else, this could be a problem. You should be using a fresh install of Windows when this happens. While I would argue Windows is smart enough to realize that it's on different hardware and it won't load drivers, there's a billion other things that could get in the way of making the system perform properly.

The whole thing with older games and single cores is that basically older games won't scale up in performance...
Jun 3, 2021
Yes, same SSD, same resolution, same windows 10. The only components that changed, I mentioned. I reading about the old games run on single core, that's what they ment to be optimized. But on a multi-core cpu, how can I manage to solve this problem?

If all you did was swap the motherboard, CPU, and RAM and did nothing else, this could be a problem. You should be using a fresh install of Windows when this happens. While I would argue Windows is smart enough to realize that it's on different hardware and it won't load drivers, there's a billion other things that could get in the way of making the system perform properly.

The whole thing with older games and single cores is that basically older games won't scale up in performance to the number of cores. So it doesn't matter if you ran it on a single core processor or a 16-core one, it'll perform basically the same.

Reactions: dudio and rgd1101
Solution
Jun 3, 2021

The whole thing with older games and single cores is that basically older games won't scale up in performance to the number of cores. So it doesn't matter if you ran it on a single core processor or a 16-core one, it'll perform basically the same.

I mean, fresh installed windows, but the same version of Pro. All of the drivers installed. Old games somehow can't run.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Hyperthreading might do weird things to older games indeed. Also maybe consider older drivers for your GPU.

"Same" Windows 10...maybe, they patch it often, some older things are bound to start breaking. Consider running compatibility modes if you haven't tried that. Make sure all your old games are forced to Run as Administrator as well.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Bottleneck is an overused term. Just because the CPU is faster doesn't mean the GPU has suddenly changed.

Could also try forcing PCIe 3.0 mode for the GPU, I don't imagine it is running at PCIe 4.0, but just to make sure it doesn't try.

Overclocking, I assume you removed the power limits? Have you checked the CPU temperature? If you are using the stock cooler you might want to run at stock settings for the moment.