Why Wait? Sandy Bridge CPUs Are On Sale Now

Status
Not open for further replies.

alikum

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
No rebranding involved. I've visited the store and seen it with my own eyes. The i7 2600 (not K version) is RM980 / 3.135 = ~US$312

kansur0

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
Before you get too excited about this new processor...do your research on the "remote kill switch" which is included as a "security feature" in these processors. The question is...how do you turn off the processor? and who has access to the big red button. Read the article on the UK banning certain illicit content and you can see where I am going with this. If they don't like what you are doing with your machine...could they just shut you off remotely?

dalta centauri

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010

It's supposed to be a personal kill switch in the case of a stolen laptop (apparently desktops as well.)
Saying that, we could have an update where they decide to tell people that their cutting down on illegal activity and will warn you before shutting you down remotely. This could be a problem, so I don't see them doing this though.

kelemvor4

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
It requires a separate transceiver to work remotely as advertised since that feature isn't integrated into the chip. Unless you buy a system with one of those, you only have to worry about the viruses that will probably now be able to physically "damage" your hardware.

G

@kansur0

well you know just in case some rough state decides to use one of these babies in one of their unsanctioned nuclear program......

lradunovic77

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
Let me get this straight. Intel does not allow CPU to overclock except if you buy K series. Is this true? They do offer Turbo Performance which is the most retarded technology i have seen in the last 10 years. I overclock CPU by myself the way i want, like running the current i7@4000Mhz on all 6 cores. Don't think Turbo Option will ever do this.

lradunovic77

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
So why would people buy this crap and replace motherboard??? I don't think Sandy Bridge offers anything revolutionary and having integreated graphich chip in CPU is another stupid idea.

coldmast

Distinguished
May 8, 2007
[citation][nom]lradunovic77[/nom]So why would people buy this crap and replace motherboard??? I don't think Sandy Bridge offers anything revolutionary and having integreated graphich chip in CPU is another stupid idea.[/citation]
Especially when (uneducated) consumers don't know, and you have it on the same product line. Check out newegg to see how many people complain about buying an i5 750/760 and a motherboard with a video ports... only to not have video.

CptTripps

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
[citation][nom]lradunovic77[/nom]So why would people buy this crap and replace motherboard??? I don't think Sandy Bridge offers anything revolutionary and having integreated graphich chip in CPU is another stupid idea.[/citation]

I would assume not everyone is running something as new as a x58 or P55. For upgraders this is a perfect time. For folks already running current tech there is no real reason to upgrade unless you need the best of the best. Video on chip.. it will sell well via Dell etc..

_Pez_

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
I already know that I MUST NOT BUY CRAP like Sandy Bridge.. if there's no possibilities doing overclocking on the chip then it doesn't worth my money because Intel is willing you to pay for "overclock special processor" fk that ! I better buy AMD-

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009

Actually, Sandy Bridge is a brand new architecture, and not another Pentium Pro derivative like Nehalem or Clarksdale.

Whether that makes it revolutionary or not is a different question, and how well that equates to real performance is another question as well. But, it is, finally, a whole new architecture. Give the PP its due, it lasted 15 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.