Question Why, when 3 sticks, game performance is atleast 60% lower than two?

SeanSparshott

Reputable
Oct 8, 2014
Hi TH,

I have recently been having some issues with my computer, I was getting tons of BSOD's to the point where I could no longer boot windows.

Being me, I just tried re-installing windows.
I had found this ROG Windows 10, it's pretty cool, it states performance increase for games and smoother platform. The UI is fucking awful, so very recommended to just remove the uxthemepatcher and whatnot if you're to get it and go back to the default look.

However, I'm getting sidetracked.
I tried to re-install windows, but it just failed. I was noticing memory_management BSOD's and from knowledge, it means your ram's gone bye-bye.

So Memtest86+ was whipped out and plugged in. To no prevail, it stopped after test 3 on pass 1 stating too many damn errors. Had around 15k by test 3.
So I troubleshoot each of the 3 sticks and then narrowed it down to one, which failed. The other two threw NO errors, and so I got lucky there.
I removed that ram stick, re-installed windows and Voila, amazing performance.

Now, here comes the title.

I loaded up GTA, and since having that computer with 3 sticks of ram, I've never ever seen a performance like that before, it's the smoothest I've ever had a game before, FPS on 4k, maxed out is EASILY around 100-120...

So can anyone tell me why (Even without errors on the ram, as I haven't seen a performance like this ever on this pc) - that when i removed the 1 stick of ram and was left with two, i'm getting extremely higher rates of performance?

Specs:
I7 2600k @ 4.9ghz
GTX 1080 Extreme OC Edition
8GB 1600mhz ram (Was 16 T.T)
500gb Samsung SSD
Seagate Barracuda 4T

Thanks!

SeanSparshott

Reputable
Oct 8, 2014
Pretty sure that the faulty ram stick was holding you back all this time, perhaps working at a lower frequence and thus dragging all your other ram modules down

as ram only works a fast/slow as it's weakest performing module

You think so?
It's strange because they were all the same MHZ... I had 1x8gb and 2x4gb. I only have 2x4gb now,

SeanSparshott

Reputable
Oct 8, 2014
Well, it was only after you removed the faulty stick that your performance increased, so it is the only variable in the story

I mean, I had installed the ROG Windows 10 2019 Edition? That could be a big factor right? I didn't know just having another stick of different ram in could cause such a performance decrease.

Its possible as said being of different capacity and being three, depending how they were populated, could have been set in couple of different modes such as flex mode lowering performance.

See here for memory configurations.
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005657/boards-and-kits.html

Thanks for the link, was a good read (Not lots though :p)
I guess it was just the dying ram from the start then, must've just finally gotten to the point where it could no longer stand on 1 leg anymore

Also there is one more change, removing that 3rd stick you changed from single channel ram to dual channel ram which is known to boost performances. To benefit from dual channel you must have 2 or 4 sticks, when you have 2 they must be positioned in certain slots to activate dual channel. You was lucky that when you removed the faulty ram stick the remaining sticks were in the right position to activate dual channel.

Treat the ram guide carefully, not all cpus can do 3 and 4 channels, yours can do max 2 channels.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I mean, I had installed the ROG Windows 10 2019 Edition? That could be a big factor right?

Wouldn't know, could be just something else was going on with windows and reinstalling helped.

This is first for me reading about Rog Windows addition. I can't find any official information on the matter at Microsoft or other legitimate sites, only 3rd party youtube links and some forum inquires which what I've read from those doesn't look good. If this isnt official, be careful.

The problem likely starts with mismatched ram.
Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.

If your three stick setup worked, the first two would operate in dual channel mode and the odd stick would be in single channel mode.
This capability of intel processors is called flex mode.
Generally, that is a good thing since extra ram usually benefits.
Possibly your performance problem happened because windows was trying to recover from a ram error.

If you need 16gb, buy a 2 x 8gb kit and sell the old ram or keep it as a spare.
Might be a good idea since 8g is getting a bit small these days.
OK for a single game generally, but not so good when you add multitasking.

Presumably you are now on windows 7 if you want to change to 10.
I think you can get a free upgrade to 10 if you want.
Google is your friend to find out how.
I do not like windows 10, it is very intrusive. I only changed because modern hardware is only supported by 10.
If you go to windows 10, install windows classic shell to make navigation more 7 like.