Apr 22, 2020
Hello, I just recently received a new motherboard in the mail and after installing it I am getting no power at all to my pc. I recieved this new motherboard after returning my previous one with the thought that it was dead after having the same issue then that I do now. It is not my power supply because I have tested that with the paper clip, and I have bridged the power switch pins on the motherboard with a screwdriver to no avail. I have taken ram out and swapped the CPU but the issue is still present. Something notable was that as soon as I plugged in my 2x4 cpu power cable the power supply fan stopped spinning when I had the paper clip in. I have no idea what the issue is but it would just be insane to be sold two dead motherboards back to back. Does anyone know what the issue might be? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks guys.

Solution
Paperclip method only tells if the fan will spin on the psu. Looking at the quality of the psu and that it works after ,what seems , resetting it might it well be the psu that is the problem.

You can try and breadboard the system, see if that gives something, means take parts out of the case and only test with motherboard/cpu/one stick of ram on a non conductive underground.

You run an odd nr of ram as well, might try 2x4gb that match first, see if that helps, if not then breadboard. But if you can do test with another psu, maybe from a friend or local shop ....

In the end could that "insane" be true and you got another dead motherboard.

Lutfij

Titan
Considering that this is a thread of troubleshooting nature, we're going to need more information. Please state the full specs to your build with the make and model of your PSU(and age if the system is old). Paperclip tests don't tell you anything about the PSUs build quality or how much power it can output since you're asked to induce a load on the PSU, this load can be either a fan or a HDD, not a full system.

Apr 22, 2020
Considering that this is a thread of troubleshooting nature, we're going to need more information. Please state the full specs to your build with the make and model of your PSU(and age if the system is old). Paperclip tests don't tell you anything about the PSUs build quality or how much power it can output since you're asked to induce a load on the PSU, this load can be either a fan or a HDD, not a full system.
Okay
I5 3570
Gigabyte b75m d3h
Evga 400 n1 100-n1-0400-l1 400w power supply
Gtx 1050
14 gb ddr3 1333mhz ram
500gb seagate sata hdd

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Paperclip method only tells if the fan will spin on the psu. Looking at the quality of the psu and that it works after ,what seems , resetting it might it well be the psu that is the problem.

You can try and breadboard the system, see if that gives something, means take parts out of the case and only test with motherboard/cpu/one stick of ram on a non conductive underground.

You run an odd nr of ram as well, might try 2x4gb that match first, see if that helps, if not then breadboard. But if you can do test with another psu, maybe from a friend or local shop ....

In the end could that "insane" be true and you got another dead motherboard.

Solution