[SOLVED] Why won't my pc boot up.

Jan 16, 2021
I had just gotten a new Radeon RX 580 8G OC and when I try and install it my pc won't boot up. I have a Z97-A asus motherboard and a cs550m psu. I correctly have it slotted and the 8pin is in as well. I have done the things like reset/update bios, switch slots, and unistall my integrated graphics yet it still won't boot up. It makes a quick click sound then just stops. Even if it's in a slot, but no powered the pc boots up fine. I have also previously use a R7 240 and it worked perfectly. I also uninstalled the drivers for that card and it still didn't work. Thank you.

Solution
There is no 8pin connector.

For EPS, there's a 4+4pin, which should already be connected to your motherboard, leaving a 6+2pin pcie connector for the gpu.

With that connection, you'll need to physically pair them correctly, they should be keyed to slide together, then put into the gpu. Failing to do that right can result in a bad connection and the gpu only see a 6pin, not the full 6+2pin which it need to turn on. It's a safety feature.

The Rx series gpus are UEFI based, they have no legacy firmware. So will not work on a legacy bios. They will work on a UEFI bios or a legacy bios that has UEFI compatibility.

CSM is a backwards compatibility through UEFI for legacy products, not a forwards compatibility for legacy to use UEFI...

P_1___

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2015
I had just gotten a new Radeon RX 580 8G OC and when I try and install it my pc won't boot up. I have a Z97-A asus motherboard and a cs550m psu. I correctly have it slotted and the 8pin is in as well. I have done the things like reset/update bios, switch slots, and unistall my integrated graphics yet it still won't boot up. It makes a quick click sound then just stops. Even if it's in a slot, but no powered the pc boots up fine. I have also previously use a R7 240 and it worked perfectly. I also uninstalled the drivers for that card and it still didn't work. Thank you.

What size Power supply do you have.
It sounds like it doesn't have enough to supply the card
A 250watt PSU will run a PC with an R7 240, but with the average RX 580 8G OC it needs at least a 500 watt PSU

https://us.msi.com/Graphics-Card/Radeon-RX-580-8G/Specification

Check your bios for legacy/UEFI boot options.
The 580 will not boot with legacy bios boot options.

Can you explain this fallacy?

Spoiler: PC with RX580 can boot in legacy/CSM mode just fine.

A 250watt PSU will run a PC with an R7 240, but with the average RX 580 8G OC it needs at least a 500 watt PSU

OP in first post mentioned that he have Corsair CX550M PSU. It is more than enough.

Reactions: P_1___

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador

For EPS, there's a 4+4pin, which should already be connected to your motherboard, leaving a 6+2pin pcie connector for the gpu.

With that connection, you'll need to physically pair them correctly, they should be keyed to slide together, then put into the gpu. Failing to do that right can result in a bad connection and the gpu only see a 6pin, not the full 6+2pin which it need to turn on. It's a safety feature.

The Rx series gpus are UEFI based, they have no legacy firmware. So will not work on a legacy bios. They will work on a UEFI bios or a legacy bios that has UEFI compatibility.

CSM is a backwards compatibility through UEFI for legacy products, not a forwards compatibility for legacy to use UEFI products.

UEFI was instituted in the Z-68/Z-77 mobo's, with a few others in the B/H, but was fully integrated as standard by the Z97, so is a moot point.

For the Rx, most times it's recommended to turn OFF fastboot/CSM if there are boot issues.

Reactions: Unolocogringo
Solution
Jan 16, 2021

CSM is a backwards compatibility through UEFI for legacy products, not a forwards compatibility for legacy to use UEFI products.

UEFI was instituted in the Z-68/Z-77 mobo's, with a few others in the B/H, but was fully integrated as standard by the Z97, so is a moot point.

For the Rx, most times it's recommended to turn OFF fastboot/CSM if there are boot issues.
I looked into something and my bios is set for legacy mode. So if the pins were in correctly would that mean all I have to do is switch to uefi and it should work?

TRENDING THREADS