Why won't this sleeve work with the Ivy Bridge i7?

miketfromlv

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
I know, this is a stupid question, but I'm just curious.

I'm looking into buy an intel i7-3570k Ivy Bridge, and I want This Sleeve for it, but it only fits Sandy Bridge.

What's the difference in the CPU's?

Thanks.

Solution
That cooler will work fine with an Ivy Bridge CPU. The cooler came out before Ivy Bridge was released, so the specs don't mention Ivy Bridge. However, since Ivy Bridge uses the same socket as Sandy Bridge, it will fit the same either way.

You only have to worry about cooler compatibility when a new socket type comes out. Then it might not fit without some modifications to the retaining bracket. As the socket types haven't changed for a little while, you'll be okay with that cooler.
That cooler will work fine with an Ivy Bridge CPU. The cooler came out before Ivy Bridge was released, so the specs don't mention Ivy Bridge. However, since Ivy Bridge uses the same socket as Sandy Bridge, it will fit the same either way.

You only have to worry about cooler compatibility when a new socket type comes out. Then it might not fit without some modifications to the retaining bracket. As the socket types haven't changed for a little while, you'll be okay with that cooler.

Solution

miketfromlv

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011

Alright, thanks.

=D