why would you want an alternative to nVidia

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kelemvor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2002
Damnit people, Canadian cards might be overpriced... but THE CANADIAN DOLLAR DOES NOT EQUAL THE US DOLLAR!!!! THERE IS AN EXCHANGE RATE!!! Sorry about the caps, but seriously, that's the stupidest thing I've read in a few minutes! The current rate is 1 USD = 1.53949 CAD. Sorry Canada, not all of us Americans think you're just that big wasteland to the north.

She said "I love a man in tight jeans" and I said "They're not supposed to be tight I just got fat."

WolfenGamer

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2002
i have a voodoo 5 5500 agp, and it has FSAA which is STILL far better than than any geforce card has. but since they don't update drivers anymore (at least they were good when they did) i'm going to have to upgrade.
the only reason i might get a geforce 4 card is speed. i know they don't look as good from a graphics/visual standpoint as my friends ati 8500, but i need speed.

so i'm either going to wait it out till the matrox 258mb card comes out and get that, or maybe get a geforce 4 either now (if i an find a good one for cheap) or when the price drops when the matrox card comes out.

then again when i install my new at7 mobo i can overclock my voodoo (which runs at 166mh, and is almost as fast as a 8500le) to 200 - 220 mhz with no problems whatsoever, and just keep running that till the price goes down on the soon to be released matrox 256 mb card.
to bad 3dfx sold out to nvidia... they were better, and in some instances still are.
that's why.
:)

Wait a minute... Hold on... I'm supposed to do what?!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by WolfenGamer on 06/13/02 11:09 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
ha, very untrue. It competes w/ GF3 ti500. gets Raped By Ti4400 and 4600. BTW, I find detenator is better, b/c it sounds like exploding performance, where as catalyst reminds me of shortcuts taken to improve performance. ahem.

My frog asked me for a straw...dunno what happened he's all over the place :eek:

10GHZ

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2002
who give up a [-peep-] about facts. the card itself isn't even released yet, so it's all speculation. i'm only saying what i think is true and i'll say it again " the R300 is going 2 murder GF4 and the upcoming NV30". i got no facts, so what?!!

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
We know from Carmack that the future ATI card WILL outperform nVidia's future enhanced GF4 (pre-NV30 card). The NV30 vs. R300 is a different story.

:wink: <b><i>"A penny saved is a penny earned!"</i></b> :wink:

UoMDeacon

Distinguished
May 14, 2002
who give up a [-peep-] about facts. the card itself isn't even released yet, so it's all speculation. i'm only saying what i think is true and i'll say it again " the R300 is going 2 murder GF4 and the upcoming NV30". i got no facts, so what?!!

LOL, then why the hell would we care what you "think is true"? Since you "got no facts" LOL I mean, honestly, I can understand this type of blind devotion towards God or something, but a commercial company??? It's hilarious.

williamc

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
By the time Doom 3 is released who the hell knows what graphics cards will be on the market=)

For todays greatest tech, reference this article: <A HREF="http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=neverwinter" target="_new">http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=neverwinter</A>

Posted about this yesterday. Personaly, i see ati and nvidia staying fairly close to each other in performance and quality through winter 2003, after that, its anyone's guess.

The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the empires state building, along came goblin, wiped the spider out

williamc

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
NARF, i did know you were talking about Fatburger's sig. That's why a *COMMA* was used after, "it is cool." You took English in high school, right?
There is no one here named NARF. Your direct address is incorrect in this situation. The letter I, when used alone, should always be capitalized. Sig is not an english abbreviation, nor is it a proper word. There are no known circumstances in the English language when a word should be all caps and surrounded by asterisks. When a comma is used after what? The place where you quote the phrase "it is cool" is improper. There should be no comma after the word after. A more proper writing of that post would have been the following: "WilliamC, I did know you were talking about Fatburger's signature. I simply miscommunicated my point; sorry about that."

And now for some really impropper retoric. I think your a complete moron, nerfherder. However, I sincerely hope this post has answered your question.

By the way, I am not the one who said they couldn't see a reason there shouldn't be a monopoly in the graphics card market with no competition because who needs competition right? Who needs alternatives? After all, the human race must be a bunch of mindless, wandering fools who follow the leader and have no individual tastes or preferences or ideas.

The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the empires state building, along came goblin, wiped the spider out<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by williamc on 06/14/02 10:32 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

dttdar

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2002
Look man, all that english jargon you said was pointless. I only corrected you because you misread what I said and then got upset about it. You clearly made a mistake and now you're trying to get the last word by picking apart the typing style that I have. Get over it man, grow up.

you did read when I said:
maybe I should of called this post: Why would gamers want an alternative to nVidia?
I never said that ATI has no place in the world of video cards. I even recognized that ATI does have it's strengths. As a matter of fact, a month ago my boss asked me to choose out a video card for my work(web designer) that would allow me to use two monitors. My first choice was the R8500. I just don't think that the gaming ability of the R8500 is greater than the GF4's gaming ability. I'm also not saying that it's terrible at gaming.

----------------
sorry, but I'm still stuck in the Pentium III world

williamc

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
Saving face is hard work isn't it? Maybe next time yer first post won't be so beligerent and eager to start a war. I wasn't upset about what you said, i just flat don't like you after your first post up top. That's all.

The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the empires state building, along came goblin, wiped the spider out

nexus_alpha

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2001
Guys guys can't we get along by the way williamc your posts have improved alot in quality and content since your first set of posts on the forums.

williamc

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
yea but i can still be an nvidiot when i get frustrated=)

By i gained a small perforamnce boost with the new 29.42 drivers Nvidia released a couple days ago. Good drivers, no bugs found yet, SoF2 seems to run slightly better. Was using 28.32 before.

I rather enjoy the driver competition going on between nvidia and ATI right now, new drivers all the time and usually all improvement. Both companies, you can bet, are feeling serious market pressure right now, partly because the overall computer market is so bad. If only one of either ATI or nvidia existed these same market conditions would cause a complete stasis in technology growth.