Why Your Wi-Fi Sucks And How It Can Be Helped, Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where's the usual "jump to this section" that usually is with Tom's articles/reviews? I have a hard time clicking for 27 times too, but would prefer a click down menu to select the topics that most interest me or to at least have the option to jump ahead, if I so desired.

cmashwin

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2007
Dear THG.. it really is a big hassle clicking 10 buttons dat dont load fast enough to read five lines.. R u worried abt copyright thingy? pls pls give us an easy to read comprehensive page to read ur wonderful articles and dont make it difficult.. As an eg, to read dis article, I had to load it in 2 different browsers n click 54 times!! come on give us a break!!

G

Why does every page require us to hit Read more to see the full text? Do you think most people who read this article will prefer to only read the first 1/3rd of every page?

openi3

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
I believe I know why this article was written like this... the salesmen that need to know this need you to draw them a picture....
Hang around the wireless router/dsl section of your local PC hardware store and listen to the stories...
My favorite one was where two kids persuaded their mom that they needed a $120 wireless range booster for the grandmother's notebook which was in a tricky part of their property to reach. How about giving them a $5 phone cable and a better access point for $30...

bellman80

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
*Why Your Article Layout Sucks And How It Can Be Helped*

Just read all the comments above. I know it's free content and I actually like the article, but you should really take a look at all the feedback you are getting.

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Very nice article! It was very informative. I didn't mind having to mouse click 27 times...I don't get what their problem is about that though I think the "read more" should be replaced with loading the full explanation. I can't wait to read part 2.

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]bellman80[/nom]*Why Your Article Layout Sucks And How It Can Be Helped*Just read all the comments above. I know it's free content and I actually like the article, but you should really take a look at all the feedback you are getting.[/citation]

We do, regularly. This one ended up in a picture story; the next one will go into a regular review format!

Thanks for the feedback, guys.
Chris

opmopadop

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
This was a hard one to read William. Im not too sure what you could have changed (as this stuff is very technical). Regardless Im eager to read your conclusion.

winner4455

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
I don't have any problem with the way this is set up - and I do have to say this was a great read. I learned a lot, thanks for the article!

DavC

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010
very thorough article. skimmed through most of it, but still learnt quite a bit.

But please Toms, as everyone else has said, sort out your format. its a simple thing, but spoils the reading.

G

Not only is being FORCED to click ~27 times completely wasteful of your readers' time, it is also nonsensical to have a "Read more" and "Read less" option that hides 3 sentences. You literally have to click over 50 times (half of those in different locations since the text is always different) to read this article.

Seriously, 4 year olds are not reading your articles. If someone DOESN'T want to read more, why on Earth would they not just STOP READING. Do you have an option that says "Stop looking at pictures"? How about an option that says "Stop having ADD and being illiterate"?

Are you afraid that 15 sentences might entice readers but 18 sentences are going to scare them away? What planet are we from that this makes sense...as a scientist and computer programmer I always try to be as skeptical as possible that I am wrong and think of ANY possible mistake or oversight that I have made, but I cannot think of ANYTHING that would explain these ludicrous layout choices.

If I have clicked "Read more" 15 times, maybe just maybe you should keep track of that and not force me to click ANOTHER 15 times? Do most readers have such an attention deficit that they have to reconfirm to you their intent to read your article every 30 seconds?!

I went from 2 standard antennas, to just 1. For the other, I connected an antenna built into a Pringles can propped up on a funny little tripod. The standard antenna works great in the large room that router's located, and the pringles can is aimed down the hallway of my single-floor house. It made streaming netflix to a xbox 360 down a hallway and thru 2-3 walls possible.

shoelessinsight

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2009
Very nice and informative article. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it and I look forward to part two.

As others have pointed out, of course, the article format was unfortunate. This probably would have worked better with the standard layout used for the other "Feature" articles on this site.

All the same, thanks again for the great read!

middleagealready

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
Great article!!! Lots of WIFI information and the comments even provide good information into the educational crisis in America! It seems as if most of those commenting are too lazy to complete the few easy steps needed to access all the information presented! As an engineer I spend most of my time looking for answers to problems. Early in my education it was suggested to me that I break situation down into smaller pieces and figure those out, rather than to try understanding the whole at once. This seems to be the most simple of problem solving skills and it always works for me. STOP WHINING AND START LEARNING!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS