Wi-Fi antenna connection!

unkn0wnpr07

Reputable
Jan 17, 2015
Hi, everyone!!

I'll start with explaining my problem, I live in countryside and I basically own a garage on a private farm (i rent garage from them for personal needs) and when I am there I sometime need an access to Ethernet but since the garage is a bit of the distance from the owners house, which is about 100-120 feet their router doesn't reach my garage, I am thinking how can I connect to their internet through wifi? they say I am fine to use internet as long as I pay a bit for it but I dunno how to connect to their interent, can I use something like an antenna with a fairly big range to connect to their network or something? any ideas will be really helpful!

Solution
You will be much better off using something like engenius enh202 or ubiquti nanostation. There are designed for outdoor use and if you put them on both ends the signal can goes miles so 100ft is nothing.

I would start with one on the garage end and it is still not good enough put on on the router end.

You need clear line of sight for best results so put it as high as you can.

Still a ethernet cable although it is a lot of work to bury is always going to work better than anything else.

gilbadon

Distinguished
You can use ethernet (100ft) and run it from the house router to the shed. That is the most stable solution. Another solution you have is to get a wireless extemder. What that does is repeats his wifi signal to a farther destination. What you can do is place the extender some point between the house and the barn and it will extend the signal to the barn. This probably will not work because it is so far away.

As for the high gain antenna idea, there are not too many antennas that will shoot over 100 ft. You could try though. Just look for high gain wifi antenna and make sure it is compatible with their router.

unkn0wnpr07

Reputable
Jan 17, 2015
Thank you fro reply! The wireless extended sounds like the most useful idea, but is there not something I can do down from my garage end, so something... dunno if this exists but like an antenna receiver plugged from my pc in garage and put inbetween garage and house and then that antenna acts as scanner and receives wifi-signal?

You will be much better off using something like engenius enh202 or ubiquti nanostation. There are designed for outdoor use and if you put them on both ends the signal can goes miles so 100ft is nothing.

I would start with one on the garage end and it is still not good enough put on on the router end.

You need clear line of sight for best results so put it as high as you can.

Still a ethernet cable although it is a lot of work to bury is always going to work better than anything else.

Solution