Question Wi-Fi stuck at 100mbps

Aug 18, 2023
Specs
Motherboard:b550 mag tomahawk max wifi
CPU: 5600x w/ stock cooler
Gpu: 6700 xt
Ram: ddr4 16x2 3600mhz

I recently upgraded my WiFi to 500mbps because of slow speeds on my pc. My motherboard claims to support speeds up to 2400mbps but I can’t seem to get more than 100mbps. I checked if it was the spot in my house by running the same Speedtest on my phone where I was getting around 350mbps. I’m not looking for 500 because ik I won’t get that, I just know that somehow my pc is limited and I cant figure out why. Any suggestions?

It also depends on your router. For example if I found the correct motherboard your machine support wifi6e. If your router does not also support wifi6e it will never even have a chance of the maximum speeds.

If you have a wifi6e router and your ran on the 6ghz radio you stand a fairly good chance of actually getting the full 500mbps. It is very common for people to complain they "only" get 600mbps and they were expecting more than 1gbit. You only get gigabit speeds when you sit on top of the router where you might as well use ethernet.

Check the wifi status and check the connection "speed". There many times are 2 number the transmit and the receive rates. These are not actually speeds but more represent the data encoding being used. You might at best get 1/2 to 1/3 of these numbers.

What I suspect is your PC is blocking the signals more than the phone. Having antenna located next to a big metal box tends to block signals. Try turning the pc to see if facing it a different direction make a difference.

The amount of signal you can use will determine what is negotiated between the pc and the router. It will use a more dense data encoding and more overlapping signals (ie mimo) the better the signal is.

In the long run I would look for some other method to connect a desktop, this is even more important if you like many people on this forum run online games on the machine. If you can't run ethernet, MoCA tends to be a good second choice if you have coax cable. You could consider powerline, it might be slower than wifi but the latency is very consistent.

Aug 18, 2023
It also depends on your router. For example if I found the correct motherboard your machine support wifi6e. If your router does not also support wifi6e it will never even have a chance of the maximum speeds.

If you have a wifi6e router and your ran on the 6ghz radio you stand a fairly good chance of actually getting the full 500mbps. It is very common for people to complain they "only" get 600mbps and they were expecting more than 1gbit. You only get gigabit speeds when you sit on top of the router where you might as well use ethernet.

Check the wifi status and check the connection "speed". There many times are 2 number the transmit and the receive rates. These are not actually speeds but more represent the data encoding being used. You might at best get 1/2 to 1/3 of these numbers.

What I suspect is your PC is blocking the signals more than the phone. Having antenna located next to a big metal box tends to block signals. Try turning the pc to see if facing it a different direction make a difference.

The amount of signal you can use will determine what is negotiated between the pc and the router. It will use a more dense data encoding and more overlapping signals (ie mimo) the better the signal is.

In the long run I would look for some other method to connect a desktop, this is even more important if you like many people on this forum run online games on the machine. If you can't run ethernet, MoCA tends to be a good second choice if you have coax cable. You could consider powerline, it might be slower than wifi but the latency is very consistent.
I understand that the metal box could block it, but I recently upgraded to a WiFi 6 router. I just don’t understand why there is such a massive discrepancy between the two. My link speed says 1201/1201 receive/transmit. I’m not sure what that means but. Anything else you could think of.

kanewolf

Titan
I understand that the metal box could block it, but I recently upgraded to a WiFi 6 router. I just don’t understand why there is such a massive discrepancy between the two. My link speed says 1201/1201 receive/transmit. I’m not sure what that means but. Anything else you could think of.
Your "link speed" is the rate your PC is able to connect to your WIFI source. A link speed of 1200 should allow a throughput of 500Mbs. If you are limited to 100Mbs, I think you need to look at the WIRED connections. You may have a bad cable that is limiting your performance to 100Mbit.

Aug 18, 2023
Your "link speed" is the rate your PC is able to connect to your WIFI source. A link speed of 1200 should allow a throughput of 500Mbs. If you are limited to 100Mbs, I think you need to look at the WIRED connections. You may have a bad cable that is limiting your performance to 100Mbit.
AT&T was able to troubleshoot and I think fix the problem, thank you for your help. I sadly can’t use Ethernet where my pc is at in my house or I definetky would.