Question Wi-Fi works, but not ethernet.

Dec 24, 2021
This is a problem that I have had before. The ethernet connection on my desktop PC will suddenly lose internet but all other devices on the internet, wired or wireless, still connect and work just fine. The message in Windows network settings says that I can connect to other devices on my network, but it cannot reach the internet. Plugging in a Wi-Fi USB stick works just fine and it recognizes both my 5GHz and 2.4GHz networks.

Below are all of the things I have tried to fix this in the past and recently that have not worked:
  • Using Windows CMD to reset and flush the DNS and IP addresses.
  • Running Windows diagnostics.
  • Running a Network Reset in Windows.
  • Changing the DNS server in my ethernets IPv4 properties.
  • Trying other ethernet cables.

When the issued first occurred, my final attempt to fix it was reformatting my whole hard drive and putting a fresh Windows on it. When I did this, the issue was still happening. What fixed it was changing out the ethernet cable. The ethernet cable I had in it previously was working while plugged into my laptop just fine and wasn't dropping connection, but did not work on my PC before and after the reformat. This time, I have two cables that are fully functional and work in every machine in my house except for my desktop. I do not want to go through the hassle of reformatting again only to find that it didn't fix the problem.

My motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix B450-F Gaming II

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

The first things I would check are the Control Panel Power Options to make sure everything is set to Maximum and that windows can not shut anything off. Then the Device Manager, Properties, Power Management settings for any devices involved with internet to make sure that any options for "Allow computer to shut off this device to save power" are NOT checked.

Dec 24, 2021
The first things I would check are the Control Panel Power Options to make sure everything is set to Maximum and that windows can not shut anything off. Then the Device Manager, Properties, Power Management settings for any devices involved with internet to make sure that any options for "Allow computer to shut off this device to save power" are NOT checked.

These options have been enabled on all of my computers for years and despite them being off, it makes no difference. My PC also is always on high performance for gaming.

Dec 24, 2021
Have you looked into the event viewer? and update the nic drivers?

Event viewer is showing a lot of failed activity regarding the disconnection of my Intel LAN drivers and failed DNS server configuration. I have not updated or changed anything when these events have occurred. Both times have been completely random and once it happens, my PC never reconnects via ethernet.

lGkLppU.png