Wierd 9500 pro problem

zc3

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2002
So I got my 9500 pro today and so far I'm happy about the way it performs. I tried all the games I have and they all work great. Except for one. For some reason my card is having problems with Battlefield 1942. When I try to launch the game, my monitor starts to act up. The light on my monitor turns from green to orange and I get this message; 'PC setting correct?'

This only happens when I try to play BF1942. Also sometimes I won't get that message but instead when the game loads up, I have a bunch of scan lines which makes it look like I'm playing on a regular TV. I have the latest drivers and everything so I can't figure out what the problem is. It only happens for this game.

Any ideas?

cleeve

Illustrious
Are you running the newest drivers? If memory serves there were issues with that game that were fixed in the Cat 3.5s.

Not sure tho. Check it out, mate...

------------------
Radeon 9500 w/256 bit memory bus @ 367/310
AMD AthlonXP 2000+
3dMark03: 3439

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
Could you by chance be trying to play the game at a resolution or frequency (hz) that the monitor cant handle?
That would most likely cause the monitor to turn off (button turns orange in your case), and a message is displayed.

Im not sure if theres a .ini or config file for bf1942 where you can manually set the res/hz the game will run (and consequently start up in) at, but you could try going into your ATI control panel, under displays, monitor(s), and setting FORCE Refresh rate (DX) to 60.

Just a thought.

"Every Day is the Right Day." -Pink Floyd

zc3

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2002
I went into the control panel and the refresh rate override was disabled and max refresh rate was set to 60. So I set the refresh rate override to 60 which *seems* to fix the problem about the monitor turning off, but I still get those lines on my monitor which make it look like I'm playing off a television set.

Oh and I do have the latest ATi drivers.

zc3

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2002
Hmm...still no luck. I still get those ugly lines in the game. Do you think it might be the card? All the other games work except for this one.

zc3

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2002
Okay now I'm just confused. So I leave the house for a few hours, then when I get back I turn on my computer and run bf1942 to see if the problem might have something to do with the in game settings. But get this, all of sudden IT'S WORKING, no lines or anything o_O

Looks great! But now there's yet a different problem :( When I turn up the resolution to 1024 x 768 my screen starts flickering like crazy. I have no problem running it on 800 x 600 and I don't mind keeping those settings, but I would prefer to run it at 1024 x 768.

Any ideas?

Man, this card is doing some weird things.