[SOLVED] WiFi device count

ControlledChaos

Reputable
Jun 26, 2016
Hello, I am wanting to figure out what I need in a router to support a certain number of devices. In theory can I have up to 100 phones connected simultaneously to a router? And does it need to be a specific router?

Will the speed still be decent for the important ones if the other 90 are basically idling? How would vpns play a role?

Solution
The usual rule-of-thumb recommendation is 30 devices per WIFI source. So 100 devices should be three WIFI access points.
Performance will depend on how many of those 100 phones are on 5Ghz. Even with 3 WIFI source (ch 1, 6, 11) 100 devices would be terrible performance.
You are going to want access points which can have the transmit power adjusted to help with device spreading and band steering.

If you have "priority" devices, then those devices should be given a unique SSID to help segregate their traffic.

Is your question about VPNs or VLANs? VPNs are generally a WAN concept.

kanewolf

Titan
The usual rule-of-thumb recommendation is 30 devices per WIFI source. So 100 devices should be three WIFI access points.
Performance will depend on how many of those 100 phones are on 5Ghz. Even with 3 WIFI source (ch 1, 6, 11) 100 devices would be terrible performance.
You are going to want access points which can have the transmit power adjusted to help with device spreading and band steering.

If you have "priority" devices, then those devices should be given a unique SSID to help segregate their traffic.

Is your question about VPNs or VLANs? VPNs are generally a WAN concept.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS