WiFi HotSpot, How?

TheMakaan

Prominent
Mar 17, 2017
Hello I've been going all over the web for a solution if there is one, I currently have a Asus Z370-E Gaming mother board and it comes with AC WiFi.

I already have Ethernet going to this computer so was wondering if I could turn the onboard wifi on my motherboard into a hotspot for my phone and other things.

I've done CMD and seen my Hosted Network Support is No, But I've seen here and there people can turn it on.. I'm just wondering if anyone knows if this is possible,

Thank you in advance.

Solution
If you buy a cheap AC router like this $50 Tenda AC15, you can use it as an AP and wire your PC to it. Not as cheap but pretty high performance for the price.

The same hardware can be found in the ASUS RT-AC68U which is sold just as cheaply as the refurb T-mobile CellSpot

And BTW you usually don't want to use the WAN port on the AP like that unless its firmware specifically has a setting to "bridge WAN to LAN." The LAN ports always work.
Hosted Network support is apparently required to use Internet Connection Sharing, but there is one way to do something similar that does not require that--instead bridge your ethernet port to your Wifi.

On the network connection page highlight both your Ethernet adapter and WiFi adapter.
Once they are both highlighted right-click on an adapter and select Bridge Connection.

Unlike the usual way, your phone and other things won't see a double-NAT as if you had put a router behind a router. ICS is after all, a software router. But unfortunately unless you have a third NIC on the desktop, the internet won't work on the desktop while the bridge is active, so this is a temporary measure until you can go buy a Wifi router or AP.

Note that it makes no sense to buy a USB adapter than can do Hosted Network and ICS, because you can buy a cheap router instead.

TheMakaan

Prominent
Mar 17, 2017

Hello Thank you for your reply, I already do have a Wifi router but it's far away from this room, I have Ethernet pass through my wall, the reason why I was wondering if I could use the Motherboard Wifi as a Hotspot is so I can use my Gear VR in this room with out the weak Wifi, and plus my Router has just normal Wifi Not AC like the motherboard, So I'll say it's out of the question to turn my Motherboards in-built WiFi into a Hotspot for my gear VR and Phone ?

Before trying to use your PC as a hotspot...

I suggest disconnecting the network cable from pc, plug it into a cheap router (like a N300 they cost like 15$), then run a network cable from that to pc, and then just connect to the router Wi-Fi with your phone, the speeds will be much better than trying to bridge internet through your PC.

setting up your "personal router" as a AP connected to main router of the house will permit you to extend the data feed, get great speeds, and not interfere with your current mode/router configuration

so in the end it will look like this
kiXNIPj.png

If you buy a cheap AC router like this $50 Tenda AC15, you can use it as an AP and wire your PC to it. Not as cheap but pretty high performance for the price.

The same hardware can be found in the ASUS RT-AC68U which is sold just as cheaply as the refurb T-mobile CellSpot

And BTW you usually don't want to use the WAN port on the AP like that unless its firmware specifically has a setting to "bridge WAN to LAN." The LAN ports always work.

Solution