Question WiFi is slow down fast up. difficulty connecting

Jul 21, 2024
I have an ASUS ZenWiFi AX6600 Tri-Band Mesh.

For trouble shooting I have reset all mesh points to factory. And then only set up one main router at a time. removes the Mesh from the system all together. I have also used two different mesh routers as the main router, for trouble shooting. Rules out just the one router being bad.

Problem- Wirelessly my laptops and XBOX , desktops, TV... have difficulty connecting to the wireless router. When they do connect my download speeds are under 10 mb and my upload speeds are in the 100s. When physically connected to the router my speeds are up and down 900+ .

Distance from the router, for trouble shooting devices are within 6 ft.

I am at a loss. I have gone through all wireless settings, not sure what I could be missing. I have turn off or on or adjusted each of these then went back to default before moving to the next.

I have attempted to use only 2ghz or 5ghz
have disabled the WiFi6 mode
Disabled 11b
WiFI Agile Multiband has remained disabled.
Targetr Wake time is disabled
Authentication I have tried WPA2-personal, WPA, open system, WPA3
WPA encrypting is AES, can not change this.
Protected Management Frames are disabled, tried capable, and required, before going back to disabled
Channel bandwith on 2ghz tried 20/40, 20 and 40. on 5ghz tried 20, 40, 80 and the 20/40./80 option

I do not have QOS turned on

I have not looked into the WAN settings or other lan settings, since hard wired connection is fast, I would not think anything like a DNS or other WAN setting could be the issue.

I do have the latest firmware on the routers and all my computer are updated. The fact that it is XBOX, Laptop, Surface , work laptop, TVs seems to be a WiFI issue.

Oh I will add my Iphones and Ipads always seem to be fast with no issue.

Would like to see if I am missing anything before sending these routers to the trash and being out the money (had them to long to return) Did not realize the issue I was having.

Jul 21, 2024
Did you use different SSID for 2.4GHz and 5GHz? it's easier to identify which bas problem.

If auto channel doesn't work well, try to set channel yourself.
I did not, I will try that.

I thought with the mesh setup you connected to the one SSID and it then determined what to use. if you had different ones it would cause issues. But will give it a try and report back

Jul 21, 2024
Set up two different SSID

Speed from Xbox on 2.4 = 7 Mbps down - 93 up
Xbox connecting to the 5G -
Iphone 600 down - 475 up
desktop with a Tlink (?) little wireless usb dongle 0.5 down 45 up

really seems like the Up is impacted on WiFi ...

Jul 21, 2024
Set up my iphone as a hot spot to test speed on the xbox.

down 41 / 18 up

Download is slower than the cell phone test speed, but the up is consistent.

Jul 21, 2024
ISP subscription download/upload speed? Please do not left M letter out, put full Mbps.

You sure turned off QOS or some gaming optimization feature?
My ISP is 1.2 GHZ up and down.

QoS remains off

I did however turn on QoS WAN/LAN bandwidth monitor and did a speed test. just to see what the router monitor said. maybe the xbox is reporting bad speed.

With the QoS WAN/LAN monitor on I get

183 Mpbs down
123 Mbps up

with it off I get

7 Mbps down
128 Mbps up

This makes no sense why the monitor on the router would impact anything.. and ran it on two different xbox and got the same result (give or take a few Mbps) result as in faster speed.

how would a QoS bandwith with monitor being turned on impact my speed??

Jul 21, 2024
I reset the router to factory to check. When reset the QoS monitor is off. I test speeds and they have the slow issue. Changing no other settings and turning the QoS monitor on I am getting reasonable speeds in the 200 Mpbs down and 180 Mbsp up. I do think they should be faster with 1.2 GHZ internet and router being within 6 feet.

So still something else is going on and this just shows something is wrong. But this will be livable for now.