Compact5

Honorable
Dec 20, 2016
Hi everybody,

I'm just looking for a bit of advice for a first time wifi mesh setup.

Currently with virgin media on the hub 3.0 and the router is sat on the other side of the house. It's not practical to run an ethernet cable all around the house to different devices. I've tried a range extender but not really made a difference. I work from home and my office is on the other side of the house so the connection is very flaky which isn't ideal.

I've been reading up on how setting up a mesh network might solve some of these problems so thought I might give it a try. However, I've not done this before so I'm a bit limited in knowledge and with that many options out there it's hard to know what to go for! A few requirements are;
  • Something pretty easy to setup I work in software so I have a bit of an understanding of networks but it's not something I'm massively familiar with.
  • Ideally, something that allows for device prioritisation so when I'm working from home I can prioritise my laptop over say the TV.
  • Something decent enough as I sit in a lot of video calls through the day but doesn't break the bank.
I'm looking at amazon just purely for ease of purchase but any other recommendations very welcome! Would be really grateful if somebody would mind helping me out!

Thank you

kanewolf

Titan
Hi everybody,

I'm just looking for a bit of advice for a first time wifi mesh setup.

Currently with virgin media on the hub 3.0 and the router is sat on the other side of the house. It's not practical to run an ethernet cable all around the house to different devices. I've tried a range extender but not really made a difference. I work from home and my office is on the other side of the house so the connection is very flaky which isn't ideal.

I've been reading up on how setting up a mesh network might solve some of these problems so thought I might give it a try. However, I've not done this before so I'm a bit limited in knowledge and with that many options out there it's hard to know what to go for! A few requirements are;
  • Something pretty easy to setup I work in software so I have a bit of an understanding of networks but it's not something I'm massively familiar with.
  • Ideally, something that allows for device prioritisation so when I'm working from home I can prioritise my laptop over say the TV.
  • Something decent enough as I sit in a lot of video calls through the day but doesn't break the bank.
I'm looking at amazon just purely for ease of purchase but any other recommendations very welcome! Would be really grateful if somebody would mind helping me out!

Thank you
If a range extender didn't improve things, then a mesh system may not be better. Mesh systems are just fancy extenders.

TRENDING THREADS