[SOLVED] WiFi SSID sporadically disappears?

icewolf461

Honorable
Jul 9, 2014
Hi. As the title says, my router's WiFi network keeps disappearing every couple days and I have to power it off for about 30 seconds before it shows back up again. It was only doing this on the 2.4 Ghz band but now it's both 2.4 and 5Ghz bands. The wired LAN works just fine without issue. There are about 8 devices connected to it. Only those connected wirelessly are affected. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Make and model of router: Huawei HG 8245Q2
ISP and connection type: Digicel and fiber connection type

Solution
Hi. As the title says, my router's WiFi network keeps disappearing every couple days and I have to power it off for about 30 seconds before it shows back up again. It was only doing this on the 2.4 Ghz band but now it's both 2.4 and 5Ghz bands. The wired LAN works just fine without issue. There are about 8 devices connected to it. Only those connected wirelessly are affected. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

There are a couple possibilities.
Your router, or its powersupply could be overheating. -- But a quick power cycle probably wouldn't fix that.
Second, your router's WIFI channel could be set to "auto" and it is picking...

kanewolf

Titan

There are a couple possibilities.
Your router, or its powersupply could be overheating. -- But a quick power cycle probably wouldn't fix that.
Second, your router's WIFI channel could be set to "auto" and it is picking channel 13 (2.4Ghz) and a DFS channel (5Ghz) that your device doesn't support.
You can eliminate the second possibility by manually setting the channels (1, 6, 11) for 2.4Ghz and below 50 for 5Ghz.
If it still happens, you know it isn't a frequency choice problem by the router.

Solution