WikiLeaks Shows Intel Blackmailed Russian Govt.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

guruofchem

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
Ye olde Quid Pro Quo, folks - been going on so long we still use a dead language to name the maneuver...

Julian Assange's Delta Tau Chi name is... Captain Obvious!

I should also state that Julian Assange is just another 15-minutes-of-fame wannabe, and while Wikileaks did divulge some stuff that should have been, their posting the US list of sites considered critical to the world's economy and infrastructure is just plain idiotic if not criminal. Jeez - talk about giving aid and comfort to the enemy - I'm sure Al Quaida appreciates Assange doing their research for them. I hope Sweden convicts him for the rape charges and puts him away for the rest of his traitorous life..

Now as to how I really feel... :D

dgingeri

Distinguished
[citation][nom]jamesedgeuk2000[/nom]Its called outsourcing not blackmail[/citation]

It's called reality.

Of course, if a company needs equipment to keep people working, and the government prevents the import of that equipment, those people aren't going to be able to continue working. They'll have no use for people sitting around doing nothing, so they'd have to lay off those workers and move the work elsewhere.

Simply put, if the government prevents jobs from being continued, those jobs will be stopped.

This isn't blackmail.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
This is not blackmail. They basically said that they couldn't keep jobs in Russia without those systems. Sure they weren't legal there, but they could have just pulled out without talking to the gov't. Instead they gave Russia a chance to keep those jobs. I don't see anything wrong with that.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]I hope Sweden convicts him for the rape charges and puts him away for the rest of his traitorous life..Now as to how I really feel...[/citation]
Just a note here, you can't be a traitor to a country that you're not a citizen of.

Also, if Al Qaeda is unable to commit terrorist attacks because they can't find any valuable targets, then they're stupid enough that you don't really have to worry about them.

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
I'm in the "not blackmail" camp.

If a corporation in one US state says they are moving because they are getting a better tax break in another state (*ahem* unless, of course, you want to make a better offer), is it blackmail? No, otherwise states would sue companies that move.

Indirectly you could interpret this as "we employ x citizens in your state, which we will have to fire if we are forced to relocate due to your non-compliance."

Intel merely said these are the terms of maintaining a location in your country, and if you can't comply then we'll look elsewhere and hire other people.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
Its not even bullying. Its just a fact. If Intel couldn't get the stuff into the country that it needed the engineers to work on then it would have to move its operation to another country.

iamtheking123

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
Whoa fellow commenters, we don't want to let a bit of reason stand in the way of a potential crisis worthy news story! The media is reaching for straws searching for bits of information from WikiLeaks that would actually justify what they are doing...nothing found yet.

sumdailbsumting

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2010
[citation][nom]fazers_on_stun[/nom]I should also state that Julian Assange is just another 15-minutes-of-fame wannabe, and while Wikileaks did divulge some stuff that should have been, their posting the US list of sites considered critical to the world's economy and infrastructure is just plain idiotic if not criminal. Jeez - talk about giving aid and comfort to the enemy - I'm sure Al Quaida appreciates Assange doing their research for them. I hope Sweden convicts him for the rape charges and puts him away for the rest of his traitorous life..Now as to how I really feel...[/citation]

how can democracy function when people like you condone mass black out on information that helps the mass of people understand the current corporate governance state of affairs? Willful ignorance is stupidity. Information blackout is a tactic employed by slave owners, plutocrats and generally speaking; the most disgustingly self-serving of mankind. I'm disgusted anyway...

sumdailbsumting

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2010
hmmm... if world is censored in many ways... and it is - Maybe we are retarded. Maybe our potential was retarded. Maybe the comments here are retarded comments made by retards. I rest my case your "honor".

Status
Not open for further replies.