Question Will a 620w PSU handle a R9 290x-R9 Fury?

nospecgamer

Reputable
Sep 28, 2018
I currently have a Enermax Pro 82+ 625w PSU (I know it's old, but according on some people on Jonnyguru, it was good at that time. Don't know about now though) Would that be able to run something like a R9 290x? Or a R9 Fury Tri-X? It's got the connectors it needs to power it.

Rest of the system is in my signature, ("Oh Kijiji No.2")

And that RX 580 that was in that system is being put out into another one.

nospecgamer

Reputable
Sep 28, 2018
I currently have a Enermax Pro 82+ 625w PSU (I know it's old, but according on some people on Jonnyguru, it was good at that time. Don't know about now though) Would that be able to run something like a R9 290x? Or a R9 Fury Tri-X? It's got the connectors it needs to power it.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
620W is a little light for the 290X, not sure about the Fury tho. It will work, tho, yeah. It may be stressed to its limit when the system is maxing out CPU and GPU together. the card alone can demand 300W. A 650W PSU is the normal minimum.

nospecgamer

Reputable
Sep 28, 2018
620W is a little light for the 290X, not sure about the Fury tho. It will work, tho, yeah. It may be stressed to its limit when the system is maxing out CPU and GPU together. the card alone can demand 300W. A 650W PSU is the normal minimum.
Ah ok, i'll just stay away from the R9's. I can't really find a decent power supply that is more than 650w on a budget (CAD). A RX 570 would work right?

When did you buy the Enermax?

I remember this being a pretty solid unit. I think it would probably hold up, but sounds like it's been running your system for close to 10 years at this point.

nospecgamer

Reputable
Sep 28, 2018
When did you buy the Enermax?

I remember this being a pretty solid unit. I think it would probably hold up, but sounds like it's been running your system for close to 10 years at this point.
I actually got it from a used PC bundle. When I parted out the PC, the Power Supply didn't have any dust and when I turned it on, it was quiet and doesn't have that annoying buzzing noise. I don't know how long the guy used it for, but the Power Supply was released around 2008