Question Will a cloned M.2 SSD transfer into a new laptop?

May 28, 2023
I'm going to transfer everything from my SanDisk SATA SSD into a Sabrent Rocket and before I do so, is it possible to move the cloned Sabrent from my current computer into a laptop with an M.2 slot and can I move this same Sabrent from that laptop into the old computer or an entirely different build?

USAFRet

Titan
I'm going to transfer everything from my SanDisk SATA SSD into a Sabrent Rocket and before I do so, is it possible to move the cloned Sabrent from my current computer into a laptop with an M.2 slot and can I move this same Sabrent from that laptop into the old computer or an entirely different build?
A Clone is no different than trying to move the original HDD.

Being 2 completely different systems, this is unlikely to work.

The laptop is coming with its own OS?
If so, simply install whatever applications you use, and copy the data from the old system to the new.

May 28, 2023
A Clone is no different than trying to move the original HDD.

Being 2 completely different systems, this is unlikely to work.

The laptop is coming with its own OS?
If so, simply install whatever applications you use, and copy the data from the old system to the new.
Alright thank you. Also, would I be able to grab the cloned Sabrent and put it into an newly built PC?

May 28, 2023
Again, no.

Moving an OS drive, or a clone of an OS drive, between systems is problematic at best.

Some will tell you "Go ahead, it always works. Windows just figures it out."

No, it doesn't.
Ok, so once I clone the Sabrent, it’s just locked into that specific system?

USAFRet

Titan
Ok, so once I clone the Sabrent, it’s just locked into that specific system?
It is not "locked", but a Windows install is generally not transferable between systems.

Trying to do this, 3 possible outcomes:
1. It works just fine
2. It fails completely
3. It "works", but you're chasing issues for weeks/months.

I've personally seen all 3.
The greater the difference in hardware, the less likely it is to "work".

Some further info on what you're trying to do, and with what parts, may help lead to a pathway forward.

May 28, 2023
It is not "locked", but a Windows install is generally not transferable between systems.

Trying to do this, 3 possible outcomes:
1. It works just fine
2. It fails completely
3. It "works", but you're chasing issues for weeks/months.

I've personally seen all 3.
The greater the difference in hardware, the less likely it is to "work".

Some further info on what you're trying to do, and with what parts, may help lead to a pathway forward.
Hmm alright. I think for now I'll just go forward with the cloning. I'm not planning on moving my OS drive for probably 4~ years and I'm fine with just re-downloading apps and copying the data into a laptop. When I build a new system, I'll come back to this forum.

USAFRet

Titan
Hmm alright. I think for now I'll just go forward with the cloning. I'm not planning on moving my OS drive for probably 4~ years and I'm fine with just re-downloading apps and copying the data into a laptop. When I build a new system, I'll come back to this forum.

"I think for now I'll just go forward with the cloning."

Not quite sure what you're planning with this.