[SOLVED] Will a high-end video card ensure long term mid-range gaming?

erasmus22

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
My monitor provides only 60-75hz at 1080p, but this is exactly what I want. I have no plans on upgrading my monitor.
I'm currently running an RX 580 (a mid range card) and it does just fine to give 60-100fps on ultra settings.
My question is this: I have the option to get a used 1070Ti (a high end card) for a really good price (less than half of msrp). I know the 1070 Ti is overkill for 60hz 1080p gaming TODAY, but would it be a good investment if all I want is 60hz 1080p gaming for the next 2-4 yrs?

Solution
Upgrading a card that still performs satisfactorily now for the sake of trying to future proof doesn't make sense. Upgrade when you need to, there'll always be older used cards around.

That 1070 Ti deal doesn't seem too special anyway. You say you can get the 1070 Ti for less than half of MSRP, so like ~$225? You can go on ebay right now and get one for only a little bit more than that price.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Upgrading a card that still performs satisfactorily now for the sake of trying to future proof doesn't make sense. Upgrade when you need to, there'll always be older used cards around.

That 1070 Ti deal doesn't seem too special anyway. You say you can get the 1070 Ti for less than half of MSRP, so like ~$225? You can go on ebay right now and get one for only a little bit more than that price.

Solution

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
It's $375 Canadian (used) so around $285 USD. Brand new, they are still goigg for roughly $650 Canadian on Amazon ($500 USD). I have not checked Ebay.

Prices for discontinued GPUs don't always reflect relative quality. And sometimes they're downright weird

For $670 CND, you can get a 2070 Super. You can find 2060 Supers, which trade blow with 1070 Tis, new for $550 CDN. $375 CDN for a used GPU that competes with new GPUs for $550 CDN is a very average price, not a great deal.

If someone has more money than sense, they could, on Amazon.ca, buy an R7 240 for $2600 CDN or a 750 Ti for $2500 CDN. Now, $375 CDN for a 1070 Ti is way better than those deals, but the broader point I'm trying to make is that it doesn't make sense to evaluate deals by how much is taken off the price of the exact part.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
It's $375 Canadian (used) so around $285 USD. Brand new, they are still goigg for roughly $650 Canadian on Amazon ($500 USD). I have not checked Ebay.
Oh, that's really not a noteworthy price then. I see plenty of them on Kijiji for 300-400 CAD.

As said above, list prices for discontinued products are irrelevant. Anyone can list it for whatever price they want, doesn't mean that's what they're worth or that any (sane) person is actually buying them at that price.