[SOLVED] Will an ethernet connection stabilize my ping?

May 4, 2019
Hello everyone.

I have a 50mbps connection and I am currently using a wifi adapter (TP LINK T4U) and although web browsing and videos are super fast, I'm having ping issues in games. I'll get these annoying little spikes every now and then, which aren't crazy, but enough to cause lag and ruin my immersion.

I would also like to add that there are like 20 wifi spots available to connect to in my internet settings, and I read that that can interfere with my own wifi, which is most likely the culprit but I don't know a lot about this stuff so I figured I'd ask here just to be sure.

So, can an ethernet cable fix this issue?

Thanks in advance!

Solution
If you plug in an ethernet cable, then it should really fix the issue (as it is hard wired to your pc). If it doesn't, then it doesn't do any harm as you can just switch back to wifi.
Jan 6, 2019
If you plug in an ethernet cable, then it should really fix the issue (as it is hard wired to your pc). If it doesn't, then it doesn't do any harm as you can just switch back to wifi.

Solution
Although the ping issues could be someplace else the most common is the wifi.

If you have the option to use ethernet you should always use it. It is so much simpler and has many fewer issues than wifi.

Although you could do lots of testing to see if the delays are in the wifi it is much easier in most cases to just use the ethernet and see if the problem goes away.

Reactions: digitalgriffin
May 4, 2019
I have just purchased a cat5e ethernet cable and plugged it in, all of the aforementioned issues are gone.

Thank you kindly for your answers, I can finally game in peace!