[SOLVED] Will an I7 2700K work on PCIe 3.0 MOBO?

Sep 13, 2021
Hello,

I'm new here and this i my first post so here goes:

I have an i7 2700K that i was using with my ECS H61H2-M6 Mobo, but unfortunately the motherboard isn't taking power from the PSU, thus PC is not turning on.

I cross checked the PSU on another PC and it works.
No burst capacitors on the current motherboard.

Im trying to find a decent motherboard on aliexpress to buy and all the options seems fair except for the PCIe 3.0 Lanes, now i know that the i7 2700K only supports PCIe 2.0 but;

What if i install the CPU on a MOBO which has x16 PCIe 3.0 lane?
  • Will the CPU continue to deliver pcie 2.0 'support' to the PCIe 3.0 Lane?
  • Would that be that much of an issue for the CPU or GPU connected on the motherboard?
P.S: i have an EVGA GTX 750 ti.

Any advice would be much appreciated :)

Thanks.

Solution
Will the CPU continue to deliver pcie 2.0 'support' to the PCIe 3.0 Lane?
Nope, since the cpu don't have PCIe 3.0 controller, it'll just use pcie 2.0 mode.

Would that be that much of an issue for the CPU or GPU connected on the motherboard?
Nope. Been doing E3 1240 v2 and gtx 1050 fluently here.

You might want to find a B75 motherboard instead of H61, H67 and P67 is real fine. Personally i would choose between P67, And Z68/Z77 since they support overclocking (aim for MSi, Gigabyte, Asus, and Asrock one). for B75 i prefer between asrock and gigabyte since they're good and i use it.
Will the CPU continue to deliver pcie 2.0 'support' to the PCIe 3.0 Lane?
Nope, since the cpu don't have PCIe 3.0 controller, it'll just use pcie 2.0 mode.

Would that be that much of an issue for the CPU or GPU connected on the motherboard?

You might want to find a B75 motherboard instead of H61, H67 and P67 is real fine. Personally i would choose between P67, And Z68/Z77 since they support overclocking (aim for MSi, Gigabyte, Asus, and Asrock one). for B75 i prefer between asrock and gigabyte since they're good and i use it.

Reactions: ab230997
Solution
Sep 13, 2021

Thats fine by me since i'm not a heavy gamer, so if i understand well, the CPU will still deliver power to my GPU on PCIe 2.0 mode even if its on a PCIe 3.0 lane MOBO! that correct?

i'll try to look into these options, but again im not a heavy gamer or do overclocking.

Thanks