Will give free SWTOR standard edition account to first to fix issue

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

vickus420

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012
I just upgraded my mobo too an ASUS M5A97 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS and my CPU too an AMD FX-4170 Zambezi 4.2GHz (4.3GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W Quad-Core Desktop Processor my. GPU is an ati sapphire 7850 and my monitor is an gateway FHX2402L. for some reason there is a black border around the screen (even at launch where BIOS is) and scaling/changing resolution is not doing anything.. the border is no bigger than 3 mm but it's driving me crazy not only because I am getting super low frames in Rift when my PC is overkill for that game but I wasn't having this problem with inferior hardware. Please help me I am raging hard @_@ I feel like I spent 300$ too google black border fix and to constantly find people saying to set scaling to 0% in CCC (it's called AMD vision engine control center now for some reason, apparently because I have an AMD GPU and CPU) I tried to adjust my screens vertical/height options in the main menu but for some reason it's greyed out and when I try to select it it just skips over it and goes to the next option :) help plox

I failed to mention I had to have my hard drive wiped and windows reinstalled, but I am confident that I downloaded all the drivers I need.

vickus420

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012

ever since yesterday when I had my new CPU and MOBO installed and my harddrive wiped and windows 7 rebooted

vickus420

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012

Guess I gotta bring it back to store lol, I'm to scared to mess around in there myself

vickus420

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012

I noticed when it was being installed he put it in the second PCI-e slot.. not the first now that I think of it : / if it works I'll give you that swtor account anyway lol

Those options are grayed out because you're using HDMI cable. Scaling options on monitor work only with analogue connections. If by any chance you could use DVI to VGA adapter and use VGA cable, I'm sure you could alter those settings on the monitor.

Also, is the text clear? Is this happening in games only or all the time (like on desktop too)?

G

try and delete your graphics card drivers then restard your computer up with no drivers and re download them (or re download threw safe mode)

vickus420

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012

I remember the text being clearer. and when I use a VGA cable max resolution is at 1600x900 and the borders are huge like 2 inches wide on left and right of screen but none at top

vickus420

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012

I'm looking at resolutions in CCC (amd vision engine control center or w/e) and it says max resoultion is 1600x1200

vickus420

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012

now for some reason after pressing detect by clicking screen resolution after right clicking desktop max resolution is 1920x1080 o_O

vickus420

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012

I can, but like I said in my other comment the display just goes into the black borders.. I don't know why but it's like it seems to think my screen is smaller than it really is :s

vickus420

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012

where are these size settings? All I see are adjustments for H pos and V pos

So on the monitor there is only H pos and V pos settings? Are you sure? There should be size ones as well.

Also, with H pos setting, could you confirm that the border you're experiencing can actually produce an image? Maybe the monitor is made in a way that it has the borders but it cannot display anything on them.

vickus420

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012

That's the thing the border i am experiencing can't produce an image o_O the weird part is, it's bigger on the left side than it is on the right by about 2 mm, and it's smaller on the bottom and the top. I don't remember those lines being there before i installed my new mobo and CPU lol