Question Will GPU's eventually cost as much as a car, one day?

fordongreeman

Honorable
Nov 5, 2017
Because of crypto mining, will even an entry-level GPU from AMD or Nvidia cost as much as an average new car?

This seems PROFOUNDLY UNFAIR to people who want a GPU for gaming and/or professional applications such as 3D rendering and design.

I paid $2,000 for my RTX 3080 from a seller on Ebay earlier this year. The MSRP of the RTX 3080 is around $799

When the RTX 4000 "Ada Lovelace" line of GPU's come out late 2022 or early 2023, I hope I don't end up having to pay something like $8,000

This is absurd and ridiculous, maybe Nvidia should engineer their next line of LHR cards to make doubly sure that it is completely and utterly impossible to circumvent.

fordongreeman

Honorable
Nov 5, 2017
You only pay that if you choose to pay that.

99.99% of people (gamers and professionals alike) are not going to pay that much for something that should cost well under $1,000.

Unless you're a multimillionaire and have so much money that it is burning a hole in your pocket.

People aren't stupid.

I don't want to have to wait 10 years and 5 GPU generations to finally be able to obtain a flagship GPU at a sensible price.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
99.99% of people (gamers and professionals alike) are not going to pay that much for something that should cost well under $1,000.

Unless you're a millionaire and have so much money that it is burning a hole in your pocket.

People aren't stupid.
If people don't, then the scalper community dries up.
Problem solved.

However, that is not what has happened over the last couple years.

This is absurd and ridiculous, maybe Nvidia should engineer their next line of LHR cards to make doubly sure that it is completely and utterly impossible to circumvent.
Sure, we could do that, but in order to make it "utterly impossible" to circumvent, we'd have to roll back the last 20 or so years of design advancements to when GPUs were solely focused on doing specific math functions that just so happened to help with graphics.

If they will cost as much as a car?
I'd say 2 grand is already the price of a used car
And the fact that cards have become more expensive in general doesn't help with that.
For a long time the top car was always in the 600-700 range (think Geforce 8 - 700) but in the last couple gens we had cards in the 1200-1500 range. And that is MSRP, not actual sales price.
And those cards used to go down to around 60-70% after 18 months, so a 3080 should be around 400-500 now. Should.

AG90

Honorable
Mar 11, 2015
The situation is absolutely getting ridiculous. At this point the best option is to buy a pre-built PC just for the sake of getting the GPU for "cheaper", and sell most of the other hardware.