Question Will i loose anything if i clone my SSD?

Zinyak

Commendable
Nov 15, 2016
I am using 120 GB SSD as a primary storage and have installed Windows there. I am planning to upgrade it to 500 GB SSD as the space in 120 GB SSD is not sufficient enough.
I have installed many Apps and few games on my primary drive.
If i clone the data of 120 GB SSD to 500 GB SSD, Will i loose anything?

• Is there any possibility that i loose some data or saved game files in my newly cloned 500 GB SSD?

• Will all my games/App work fine on my newly cloned SSD?

• Will i loose any thing in my newly cloned SSD? like any website passwords, Apps passwords e.t.c ?
    • will it effect some settings of Apps/Games on my new cloned SSD?

And please recommend me some good free clone software.
Thanks.

D

Deleted member 14196

if the cloning is correctly done you won't lose anything, but you had better still make a nice verified backup of all your important documents and data in case it doesn't go so well.

Hey,

No, you won't lose anything. Once you have done the clone, shut down the PC, and make sure to disconnect the old SSD.

Then reboot, and go to bios and set the new drive as first boot option. Once that's done load up windows, make sure it works as you expect.

Then you can shut down, add back the old drive, and run a prog to wipe it and you should be good to go.

Zinyak

Commendable
Nov 15, 2016
thanks for quick reply, will you recommend some good free cloning software?
And i have some data on my 500GB SSD, do i need to format it before starting the cloning process or would Cloning software automatically format the drive?

Zinyak

Commendable
Nov 15, 2016
Normally the best, easiest, is the software that comes with the new drive. Check the manufacturers website, just in case you don't get a copy, or it's not already on the drive.
I have transcend ssd, the cloning software was not included in the SSD box? Do i need to download transcend cloning software from internet?
Would you recommend the third party hard drive cloning softwares?