[SOLVED] Will i7-3770k 4.6ghz bottleneck 1080ti?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

boriss911

Commendable
Nov 1, 2019
Hello, i recently had questions about i7-3770k cooling, and now i went over to GPU upgrade. I have i7-3770k in combo with 1070 strix, i am planning to get around 144fps in witcher 3, so i am planning to buy 1080ti. But, as i know my cpu is too weak for that GPU, but will that actually matter in games that dont use yours cpu at 100%? For example Witcher 3.

Solution
3770k's instructions per clock is a bit better. My total cpu usage sits between 80~90 in those games at 1440p. Up to around 95~98% in 1080p.

Don't get me wrong, 1080Ti would do better in a modern system, im well aware of that, but looking at benchmarks of the same games and resolution, it's not far off. It was a heap better than the 1070 anyway.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Ok, because theres a really decent deal on a 1080Ti right now, but i was very worried for the bottleneck. Since i am going to game at 1080p, then 1080Ti would make a big difference? Cause 3600x hits 1 frame more than 3770k.

If it's decent deal, i think you should jump on it. If your rig doesn't cut mustard (if don't see any improvement at all - which i highly believe you will), a new Ryzen build, 3600/mobo/ram doesn't cost all that much.

boriss911

Commendable
Nov 1, 2019
If it's decent deal, i think you should jump on it. If your rig doesn't cut mustard (if don't see any improvement at all - which i highly believe you will), a new Ryzen build, 3600/mobo/ram doesn't cost all that much.
Yeah, 1080Ti is out for 450 bucks now, so i am going for that. I will text you back if i get it, and i will share resuts too!

Reactions: boju

toniplavna

Reputable
Dec 4, 2016
4 cores and 8 threads is the minimum amount of CPU that I recommend for almost any gaming setup. You will be pretty severely bottlenecked in games that really need 6 cores/12threads but you can still turn up the graphics settings and enjoy better visuals with the GTX 1080 ti. Just last year I had a stock 4770k with a GTX 1080 ti and it did very good. I wasn't able to get super duper high frame rates in all games but it was enough for at least 90 fps in most games. Your CPU should be a bit better than the stock 4770k. I mostly played at 4K though and 60 fps.

boriss911

Commendable
Nov 1, 2019
4 cores and 8 threads is the minimum amount of CPU that I recommend for almost any gaming setup. You will be pretty severely bottlenecked in games that really need 6 cores/12threads but you can still turn up the graphics settings and enjoy better visuals with the GTX 1080 ti. Just last year I had a stock 4770k with a GTX 1080 ti and it did very good. I wasn't able to get super duper high frame rates in all games but it was enough for at least 90 fps in most games. Your CPU should be a bit better than the stock 4770k. I mostly played at 4K though and 60 fps.
Yeah. 3770k has hyperthreading too. My cpu hits more score in cinebench than 4770k does.

boriss911

Commendable
Nov 1, 2019
Yeah. With The Witcher 3 I wouldn't worry. Newer games though I'd start to worry. 4 cores and 8 threads is going to be very little going forward and games will likely need at least 6 true cores. I wouldn't expect it to last much longer.
But sadly my train is gone for now, 1080ti got selled , so i have to wait some weeks before a good deal appears again....

boriss911

Commendable
Nov 1, 2019
Just get an RTX 2070 or 5700 XT. That way you get a good warranty. You don't have to worry about whether it was used for mining or anything of that sort. I'd personally go for the 5700 XT as it performs almost as good as the GTX 1080 ti.
Theres actually 0 5700 sold in Norway, but plenty of 1080Ti. People in Norway are pretty honest, so they surely wont lie to you.

boriss911

Commendable
Nov 1, 2019
Rtx is just a name with the inclusion for ray tracing technology. The card itself functions normally without it.
Yeah, i know that. But if you check link that i posted, then you can see that 1080Ti is actually better. P.S 2070 costs more than 1080Ti in my country, but performance is lower.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
You're right, 1080Ti is better than the both but not by much. Thought between US 450~600 might have been alright for a substitute. Difference in price, country by country isn't fair. Here in Aus, we're usually doubled the price.

boriss911

Commendable
Nov 1, 2019
You're right, 1080Ti is better than the both but not by much. Thought between US 450~600 might have been alright for a substitute. Difference in price, country by country isn't fair. Here in Aus, we're usually doubled the price.
Well, then i just have to be patient. When a 1080Ti pops up, i have to get it. I like that 3770k isnt actually a problem, even that its 6 years old

There's always going to be a limiting factor in any system, weather itd be cpu or gpu bound. All that matters is if you get adequate performance and your system can match FPS with your monitor's refresh-rate at your preferred graphical detail. The GTX 1080 ti is still a solid/viable graphics card by today's standards and is a great investment for years to come.

boriss911

Commendable
Nov 1, 2019
There's always going to be a limiting factor in any system, weather itd be cpu or gpu bound. All that matters is if you get adequate performance and your system can match FPS with your monitor's refresh-rate at your preferred graphical detail. The GTX 1080 ti is still a solid/viable graphics card by today's standards and is a great investment for years to come.
Yeah, i have a 144hz monitor, so i want to push fps near 110, game gets so smoother.

Damn $266? You have to question the integrity of that. Yeah $400-450 is an incredible deal. The RTX line was insanely price inflated upon it's first release and still is to this day. I picked up a MSI GTX 1080 TI Duke right before/after the RTX release for about $550 USD and i'm pleased with it's performance.

You just have to make sure to:
  1. Purchase from a reputable seller
  2. Make sure the sale as at least a 30 day money back guarantee
Once you receive it:
  1. Check the bios version.
  2. Check the clocks both idle and under load.
  3. Check the temps both idle and under load.
Note:
  1. A good thing to check to see if it has been tampered with for mining is many stock/unaltered cards fans don't spin when idle. If yours has that feature (Check that first) and the fans still spin when idle is kind of a dead give away.
  2. Just because they did mine with the card doesn't mean it's damaged. In fact miners probably take better care of those cards than the average gamer by undervolting them and adjusting the fan curve to make sure they constantly run cool and the longevity of the hardware is barely impacted.
  3. If the seller doesn't return questions and sneaks around the questions:
Has the card ever been used for mining?
What is the bios version on the card?

4. If the seller is selling the same card 1 of 50 can be suspicious but isn't necessarily a deal breaker.

It's usually a red flag. Many times you'll still get a very usable card, I just steer clear and don't to business with flakey people. Then again I've been in IT for over a decade now and I can smell a snake lol.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Damn $266? You have to question the integrity of that. Yeah $400-450 is an incredible deal. The RTX line was insanely price inflated upon it's first release and still is to this day. I picked up a MSI GTX 1080 TI Duke right before/after the RTX release for about $550 USD and i'm pleased with it's performance.

You just have to make sure to:
  1. Purchase from a reputable seller
  2. Make sure the sale as at least a 30 day money back guarantee
Once you receive it:
  1. Check the bios version.
  2. Check the clocks both idle and under load.
  3. Check the temps both idle and under load.
Note:
  1. A good thing to check to see if it has been tampered with for mining is many stock/unaltered cards fans don't spin when idle. If yours has that feature (Check that first) and the fans still spin when idle is kind of a dead give away.
  2. Just because they did mine with the card doesn't mean it's damaged. In fact miners probably take better care of those cards than the average gamer by undervolting them and adjusting the fan curve to make sure they constantly run cool and the longevity of the hardware is barely impacted.
  3. If the seller doesn't return questions and sneaks around the questions:
Has the card ever been used for mining?
What is the bios version on the card?

4. If the seller is selling the same card 1 of 50 can be suspicious but isn't necessarily a deal breaker.

It's usually a red flag. Many times you'll still get a very usable card, I just steer clear and don't to business with flakey people. Then again I've been in IT for over a decade now and I can smell a snake lol.

^ This was actually pretty good reading ;P

Yeah most gamers leave their graphics card in their rig and don't pay attention to them, in poorly ventilated cases (with exception to us users at Tom Hardware of course ;)), and collect dust. The miners are constantly trying increase profit by lowering their electric bill/heat output, while maxing out their hash rate. There are definitely deals to be had and i'm glad they were available and that the inflated RTX cards came out. Otherwise I wouldn't have gotten the GTX 1080 ti at a reasonable price and id still be running a gtx 1070 on a 3440x1440p ultrawide.

thekillerx10

Honorable
Apr 12, 2018
Yeah most gamers leave their graphics card in their rig and don't pay attention to them, in poorly ventilated cases (with exception to us users at Tom Hardware of course ;)), and collect dust. The miners are constantly trying increase profit by lowering their electric bill/heat output, while maxing out their hash rate. There are definitely deals to be had and i'm glad they were available and that the inflated RTX cards came out. Otherwise I wouldn't have gotten the GTX 1080 ti at a reasonable price and id still be running a gtx 1070 on a 3440x1440p ultrawide.
the 266$ 1080 ti that i saw the seller had enabled return of the card if it had issues