[SOLVED] Will my 1660 SUPER Bottleneck the system?

z0mbiE

Reputable
Oct 23, 2019
Hey guys.

I recently set-up my new build which I'm gonna buy in a short period of time. I included R5 3600, Gigabyte Aorus B450 M-ATX and 1660 Super.

Today someone told me that the GPU is not good enough for the processor that I selected. Now I'm really confused. Because before selecting everything I did my research and I'm pretty sure that it will perform perfectly. I'd go for the 1660 TI but I'm low on my budget. I even checked the bottleneck calculator where it showed that the possibility of bottleneck-ing is 32% even with 1660 Ti because there I couldn't select 1660 Super.

So please help a brother out with your opinions guys and thanks in advance!

P.S. I'm heading out right now to buy the parts so faster replies would be really nice. :'3

- zombiE

Solution
Just for future reference, that calculator website is absolutely worthless.
Additionally, a GPU, by definition, cannot be a bottleneck in a system. Thats not how it works.
A processor can bottleneck a GPU by not supplying it enough information to process fast enough, thus limiting the GPUs performance.
Your situation is entirely different, your processor is easily capable of running a higher end GPU, meaning it can fully supply information to your GPU. The processor does not have to wait for the GPU to finish its work before continuing, so there is no limiting factor here. All it means is, when the time comes, you can put in a better GPU without worry.

z0mbiE

Reputable
Oct 23, 2019
So it's been 4 days I've been using my new PC and so far so good. I've been getting great performance both in-game and the softwares that I've been using or wanted to use but couldn't due to a bad computer.

So yeah, problem solved. GG's!

Just for future reference, that calculator website is absolutely worthless.
Additionally, a GPU, by definition, cannot be a bottleneck in a system. Thats not how it works.
A processor can bottleneck a GPU by not supplying it enough information to process fast enough, thus limiting the GPUs performance.
Your situation is entirely different, your processor is easily capable of running a higher end GPU, meaning it can fully supply information to your GPU. The processor does not have to wait for the GPU to finish its work before continuing, so there is no limiting factor here. All it means is, when the time comes, you can put in a better GPU without worry.

Reactions: King_V
Solution

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Hey guys.

I recently set-up my new build which I'm gonna buy in a short period of time. I included R5 3600, Gigabyte Aorus B450 M-ATX and 1660 Super.

Today someone told me that the GPU is not good enough for the processor that I selected.

1 - That "someone" is an idiot
2 - As mentioned by @Gam3r01, bottleneck calculators are utter garbage. Worse than useless, they are misleading.

Yes, your CPU does matter more for some games, while for other games the GPU matters more.

It's about a combination of factors:
  • Which game(s) are you playing
  • What is your monitor's resolution
  • What is your monitor's refresh rate (and if it has GSync, FreeSync, or neither)
Now, there are other factors - not enough RAM will be a problem, a CPU that doesn't meet the recommended requirements for the game would be a problem, etc.

But the idea of there needing to be a "match" between CPU and GPU is a fiction that needs to die and stay buried. You could have a game with your current system where the GPU is the "bottleneck", and another game on the same system where the CPU is the so-called "bottleneck"

But, the biggest thing is: your system is performing to your satisfaction, so, no problems!