icecold2974

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
Sorry if im in the wrong section...talkin bout two different components.

Anyways yea, i have an amd athlon x2 4000+ at stock clock of 2.1 Ghz, and an asus radeon hd 4850.

I was wondering if my cpu is bottlenecking my gpu. In crysis i can play at around 30 fps everything on high (high as in the very high settings using the fix) I do go way lower at times like 10-15 ish when im looking at lots of geometry or w/e. I was wondering if this was cuz of my gpu or my cpu. (or just becuz no hardware can play this game)

Also, I was thinkin of overclocking my cpu a bit to see if the bottleneck that i believe may exist can be stopped. Any thoughts or comments?

Thanks, help is much appreciated

itheral

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
Depending on your resolution, that proc can certainly be slowly down a 4850 by a significant amount.

Though Crysis is hard to tell from, as it's having problems with the new Ati cards (hotfix helps, but catalyst 8.7 should fix)

icecold2974

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
hmm, does the hotfix really help that much? if so i mite try it.

Also i was thinkin of ocing, but how much shud i try to do it. i have stock everything and i just wanna remove the bottleneck. i was thinkin somethin like 2.4-2.5 ghz if thats reasonable, any idea? thoughts? thx

Oh i play at 12*10 resolution