[SOLVED] Will my HP Pavilion 15 ec0xx support the AOC C24G1A monitor?

zafrknat

Reputable
Apr 5, 2018
Hello, I am looking for some advice:

I have an HP Pavilion 15-ec0xx laptop with an Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (Not Ti) graphics card. The laptop has an HDMI 2.0 port (from what I was able to infer), and the current screen is 1920x1080 at 60hz.

Would my laptop support the AOC C24G1A monitor and allow it to run at 144hz at 1920x1080 resolution without a problem?

I do some light gaming on moderately demanding games such as CSGO, but I'm not looking for ultra high settings and over 140fps. Anything over 60fps on medium settings is good for me.

Would this monitor be compatible?

Thank you!

Solution
Laptop makers tend to artificially limit how much throughput is available via a port, in order to cut costs. On paper you should be good to go...considering the port specifications. Reality with brands is that they need to make a profit somewhere. You might want to take your laptop to a store that has a floor display model that you can hook up to or perhaps hook the laptop to a TV that has 144Hz support on it.

I'm sure you can find a friend or neighbor with a panel that operates at 144Hz to plug into.

zafrknat

Reputable
Apr 5, 2018
Using the manual for the monitor here;
https://us.aoc.com/en-US/gaming/products/monitors/c24g1a/downloads
you could try and hook the monitor to the laptop using HDMI. I do have my own doubts on the connector going higher than 60Hz since laptop makers can and will often artificially limit their ports unless they're cream of the crop pedigree hardware.
Is there a way to test if the port is limited without having to hook up a whole new monitor to it?

Also, from what you're saying it seems the HDMI port would be the part that would cause issues and incompatibilities, not the graphics card?

Lutfij

Titan
Laptop makers tend to artificially limit how much throughput is available via a port, in order to cut costs. On paper you should be good to go...considering the port specifications. Reality with brands is that they need to make a profit somewhere. You might want to take your laptop to a store that has a floor display model that you can hook up to or perhaps hook the laptop to a TV that has 144Hz support on it.

I'm sure you can find a friend or neighbor with a panel that operates at 144Hz to plug into.

Solution

zafrknat

Reputable
Apr 5, 2018

Thank you very much for the information!

I have a few follow up questions:

Regarding the GPU, I know the GeForce GTX 1050 is a bit outdated, but would it support 144hz at 1920x1080 (considering the HDMI port actually does support 144hz)?

Also, in the scenario that the port doesn't allow over 60hz, would that cause any issues with my monitor, or would it just default to 60hz?
I am asking this since I'm considering between this 144hz $125 monitor, and a 60hz $100 monitor, so if the AOC 144hz would work I'd just pay the extra $25 and use it until I update my setup.