Will my Motherboard Asus H81M-C work very good with a gtx 1060 6gb?

Solution
The CPU and the card will be a happy couple but I'm not sure about that PSU if it is a quality unit. How old is this Keep out FX 750 of yours?

I can't find any reliable reviews in English. What would really help is to find a reliable and serious review. At a glance, I could only find unboxing videos and things like that; no real reviews.

Now that you don't need to buy a motherboard you can change for a better PSU maybe? A good 450W is enough and should give you enough headroom if you don't overclock.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Yes the motherboard is OK for that card.

What CPU do you have? If a core i5 and higher the CPU would not pose any limitations on the GPU in the form of bottlenecks and such.

One other thing you should check is the PSU. You need a unit with enough wattage, 12V amperage and power connectors to support the card.

The 1060 isn't that power-hungry, so you are probably fine with what you have. What is your PSU's exact brand and model?

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
The CPU and the card will be a happy couple but I'm not sure about that PSU if it is a quality unit. How old is this Keep out FX 750 of yours?

I can't find any reliable reviews in English. What would really help is to find a reliable and serious review. At a glance, I could only find unboxing videos and things like that; no real reviews.

Now that you don't need to buy a motherboard you can change for a better PSU maybe? A good 450W is enough and should give you enough headroom if you don't overclock.

Solution

mcmahoon12

Prominent
Nov 13, 2017

Hi Satan,

Would you mind explaining in brief how you came to that conclusion? What do you look for when determining if a motherboard and video card are compatible / not in need of upgrading.

Thanks!

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador

First of all is the PCIE slot any PCIE gen 3 at X16 speed can theoretically work with graphics cards. PCIE is backward compatible too so a gen 2 at X16 should be fine too.

Some very older motherboards like the ones that do not support UEFI BIOSes might have compatibility issues.

That board and chipset is 2.5-3 years old and not that old. Come to think of it now the OP might need to upgrade the BIOS if the board does not have the latest BIOS. However, I would do that if the card does not work on the board for some reason and if the update is necessary.

One other important factor is the PSU. It should be able to power stronger cards when user is upgrading in terms of wattage and number of necessary PCIE auxiliary power connectors/cables.

mcmahoon12

Prominent
Nov 13, 2017

Satan, Thank you for this. Do you have any recommendable resources that will help me develop this style of thinking when presented with a hardware related question? I am new to computers. I have always been a passive user. However, I now work within IT in a non-technical position and would like to learn as much as I can about computers! That said, I am checking the boards every day, have the CompTIA Fundamentals and A+ study guides, and just got Scott Mueller's Upgrading and Repairing PCs (22nd Edition) (WHICH IS AWESOME!). Any other web based / book resources you could suggest? Thanks!!!!

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador

Yes it says 750W and as I said earlier I couldn't find any reliable reviews. If it can indeed deliver that much power, especially enough amperage on the 12V rail, it should be OK.

How many 6+2 P[strike][/strike]CIE power connectors/cables does it have?

For a GTX 1060 you need at least one 6-pin PCIE power connector/cable.

Update:

Is this your PSU? If yes it says it has two 6+2-pin PCIE auxiliary power connectors and it should be OK.

http://keep-out.eu/image/catalog/SOFTWARE_Y_FICHAS/POWER%20SUPPLY/FX750/EN_FX750.pdf

Although I would get a good and reliable model from a known and well-reputed company.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador

Well according to info on that page it has two 6+2 PCIE power connectors/cable and it can power that card on paper very easily but honestly I'm not sure how reliable that PSU is.

I would change that with a better model PSU from a reliable brand.

luke7345

Reputable
Oct 8, 2017

Would a 1060 6gb, I5 4670k or I7 2600 fit into that motherboard or a

H81M-PLUS INTEL H81 With 8gb of ddr3 ram?