[SOLVED] Will my MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus Motherboard Support Two Graphics Cards?

Schunkster

Commendable
Feb 28, 2020
I am just curious if my motherboard will support two 2070 Super ASUS ROG graphics cards using an SLI bridge? I also have an ASUS PCE-AC55BT installed so I'm unsure how to proceed concerning spacing and compatability. If more information is needed let me know. Thanks in advance!

Solution
Single strong gpu over multi-gpu every time, unless doing deep learning or some other professional application, which benefit from Firepro or Quadro, and those are using blower designs anyway.
For gaming, multi-gpu has too many downsides:
1)Higher power consumption, obviously, but that also means having to spend more for a bigger and more robust psu.
I don't know your exact cpu, so I'll just use Nvidia's 650w recommendation for this example - a 650w psu with a system running a single 2070 Super, now you're looking at a 850w+ unit for 2 of them.

2)Cooler design: the standard fan models do not handle multi-gpu - or better yet - small spaces very well, with the top card choking against the bottom one most of the time; the bottom one can...

Schunkster

Commendable
Feb 28, 2020

Schunkster

Commendable
Feb 28, 2020
That's just not going to work well.
I see, what would be your recommendation then as far as dual GPUs go? Or should stick with a good single GPU?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Single strong gpu over multi-gpu every time, unless doing deep learning or some other professional application, which benefit from Firepro or Quadro, and those are using blower designs anyway.
For gaming, multi-gpu has too many downsides:
1)Higher power consumption, obviously, but that also means having to spend more for a bigger and more robust psu.
I don't know your exact cpu, so I'll just use Nvidia's 650w recommendation for this example - a 650w psu with a system running a single 2070 Super, now you're looking at a 850w+ unit for 2 of them.

2)Cooler design: the standard fan models do not handle multi-gpu - or better yet - small spaces very well, with the top card choking against the bottom one most of the time; the bottom one can choke too if it's close enough to another surface.
Blower cards are best in tight spaces.

3)Driver optimization blows.
Some games are fully supported, thus you get the full muscle out of the setup, some don't support it at all, and others are running some half-assed driver crap that hardly does anything compared to single gpu.

4)Micro stutters, frame skips, driver crashes - AKA, the bugs.

Solution