[SOLVED] Will my power supply generate more heat?

EsmaFingerpin

Honorable
Mar 20, 2016
This is the spec's of my computer below

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Motherboard: Micro Star B450M Pro-M2 (MS-7B84)
Power Supply: Thermaltake 80 Plus Smart 700W
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core Processor
Drive: Intel 660p NVMe PCIe M.2 512GB
Memory: Corsair DDR4 3200 2x8GB
Graphics Card Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
Graphics Card: Radeon AMD SAPPHIRE NITRO+ RX 580 Series 8 G

I recently upgraded the CPU, Memory and PSU (before it was the Cooler Master Extreme2 525)

Now my questions below are

1) Will my power supply generate more heat?

2) The Fans are on lower speed to keep them quiet, Could it be that as well?

I'm finding it warm in my room at times since upgrading so wanting both questions answered if possibile.

Solution
If you're upstairs in a house, then warm air is naturally going to settle up in there. Depending on the construction of the house and how well air can actually flow through the room, it's going to be warmer there on average than the lower floor. I've experienced this before in one of the houses I lived in where the room I was in had a crawlspace in the ceiling above the garage. Except it was basically a heat trap and the fiberglass insulation did jack so the entire wall was basically a giant radiator during the summer and there wasn't a lot of ways for air to efficiently flow through.

However this isn't to say your computer is acting as a heater, because it's dumping heat no matter what. But even if you were running a heavy game, the...

EsmaFingerpin

Honorable
Mar 20, 2016
If you're using more power, the power supply will generate more heat. But it's not going to be the source of why your room is heating up.

What would be then?? cause even when its only plus 7-10 C outside it feels like its really warm in my room

Note: I live upstairs in a house and there are 3 Pedestal Fans in my room two are always on 24/7 depending where I'm at the time.

Like when I'm awake 1 Sunbeam Pedestal Fan is on and My Honeywell Pedestal Fan is on (just bought today), and when I'm in bed both Sunbeam Fans are on as the other one face's my bed.

And that I have a Noma 6000 BTU Window Air Conditioner as well that goes on fan mode when I'm asleep never on the cool mode unless its plus 20 C outside

Last edited:
If you're upstairs in a house, then warm air is naturally going to settle up in there. Depending on the construction of the house and how well air can actually flow through the room, it's going to be warmer there on average than the lower floor. I've experienced this before in one of the houses I lived in where the room I was in had a crawlspace in the ceiling above the garage. Except it was basically a heat trap and the fiberglass insulation did jack so the entire wall was basically a giant radiator during the summer and there wasn't a lot of ways for air to efficiently flow through.

However this isn't to say your computer is acting as a heater, because it's dumping heat no matter what. But even if you were running a heavy game, the power supply with inefficiency losses (assuming it's a proper 80PLUS supply) is probably around third in who's dumping heat. Second and first place are the CPU and video card respectively.

Reactions: EsmaFingerpin
Solution

EsmaFingerpin

Honorable
Mar 20, 2016
Yeah but that's the thing I have lived upstairs since June 2018 is when I came back to Canada but I lived here from 2012 to 2016 had a computer tower different one then I have now wasn't a small case like the one's in the pictures below it was a big case so it sat on the floor as I didn't have the desk I do now.

And with that computer tower that I had from 2011 to 2016 I don't remember there being an issue with the room getting warm, When I bought this tower the one I have now in the pictures below before the upgrades yes my room would get warm but not as warm as its getting since the upgrade if that makes sense.

Since I bought the Honeywell Fan like this but in Black - https://www.amazon.ca/Honeywell-HSF1630WC-16-Stand-Fan/dp/B073RDL1L8 my room feels cooler so maybe my mainstays fan which broke wasn't as powerful for my need for this room i don't know just a guess

As for the Power supply it does say 80 Plus see for yourself - View: https://imgur.com/gallery/3WZpRkX#txxclzp

TRENDING THREADS