Will my PSU handle a 980Ti

Statikk12

Commendable
Feb 22, 2016
Hey, im looking to see if my cooler master rs 700 pcaa e3 PSU could run and support a 980Ti GPU. Looking at reviews there seem to be mixed opinions, i would look to upgrade my PSU in the future but if my current one can support the 980Ti i would like to hold off the upgrade for 2-3 months.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

no, terrible model

It is most likely not actually a 700w unit either

the "600w" version should be labeled as 450w

"Why manufacturers like Cooler Master are still carrying power supplies with fake wattages is a mystery to us. We know that this is a very low-end power supply, but this doesn’t give the manufacturer the right to lie. This unit should be labeled as a 450 W unit and sold for half of its price. Being labeled as a 600 W product and sold for USD 70, it is a complete rip-off."

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/cooler-master-extreme-power-plus-600-w-power-supply-review/9/

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

no it won't

low tier manufacturers LIE about the wattage rating of their trash

the 600w version of that psu is an actual 450w unit, with bad components to boot

Gamer1985

Reputable
Dec 19, 2015
Also not sure why the recommendation for an 850-1000W PSU for a single 980TI. It is absolutely not necessary unless you will be adding a 2nd card down the road. OP look into an efficient tier 1 PSU like the EVGA G2 series, XFX, Seasonic etc. You only need a 650W PSU and as long as it is a tier 1, you will get the rated power it is advertising.

TRENDING THREADS