Will my son's HP compaq dc7900 Small form factor be able to be transferred to a new case?

G

My son wants to upgrade his Hp compaq dc7900 small form factor. He needs to put it into a new case but I could never find out if the motherboard is a ATX or mini ATX. He wants this case:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146075. Also he wants to put in a graphics card(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130841) but it needs 400w of power minimum. Will this psu work and work with the case? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438016. Also the graphics card calls for a psi express 3.0 but his computer only has a psi express 2.0. Will the graphics card still work right?(the moniter is 1600x900) Thanks in advance!! :)

Ok get gtx 750 Ti for video card it should run fine on the PSU you have right now as its power draw is a lot lower and yes pci_ e slots are backwards compatible with each other. As far as Motherboard well many manufacturers don't conform to ATX at all so i would find out what form factor it is before buying a case.

G

Will the gtx 750 Ti be just as good as the graphics card he wants? And i forgot to mention he has a 240w psu. And would it be small form factor like in the name? Thanks again!

G

He also has a $250 budget and wants to save at least $60 for games

G

What exactly is "low-profile"? And if I get a new psu, can I just take the one i have out and have the wires go through the hole where the PSU was?(The HP psu is custom fitted) And would the card be able to play all of these games at at least 720p: Don't Starve (high, 60+ fps), Sir You Are Being Hunted(medium, 60+ fps), TF2(high or medium, 60+ fps), Portal 1 & 2(medium, 60+ fps), Minecraft(any setting, 60+ fps), RCT3(high, 60+fps), Skyrim(medium-high 60+fps), Prison Architect(any setting 60+fps), Payday 2(medium 60+fps), Gmod(High, 60+fps), DayZ(and/or Arma 3, low - medium 60+fps), TS2014(medium 60+fps), Train Fever(any setting, 60+fps), The Sims 4(medium, 60+fps), KSP(medium, 60+fps), Spore(medium, 60+fps), And Sim City 4 Deluxe addition(medium-high, 60+fps)?

g-unit1111

Titan
Can you post the exact model # of your PC and/or a picture of the case you have now? The problem I see with this working is that with small form factors a lot of the times the cases don't conform to standard ATX / mATX / mITX form factors and because of that a lot of these types of cases use power supplies that are proprietary and made just for that case, and the PSUs won't work outside of that case. That is why I want to see a photo to be able to determine that the PSU is not built into the case.

G

I do know the PSU is built in(i can remove it though) But i was planning to get a new PSU anyway
0921141741.jpg

g-unit1111

Titan

So the motherboard looks like it is a standard mITX motherboard but I can't see if there is a standard 24 pin power connector and 4/8 pin voltage connectors. As long as you have those you should be good to go. If you're going to do this though I think it would probably be better just to start a new rig from scratch. You can get a Pentium G3258 + mATX / mITX H97 motherboard + 8GB of RAM for cheaper than it would be to try to salvage what you have out of the PC you have now. You can certainly reuse the hard drive(s) and the optical drive.

Low profile means that it is not standard sized height( i would measure i cannot see clearly from the picture it might be full sized then your good to go ) so the brackets to properly fit it must be a lot shorter the video card i linked has that extra bracket you can use if you look at pictures as far as FPS on the games well it is not a very high end video card it will run games like minecraft at 60 fps i believe but not all of them but there is not much choice in the matter as low profile cards usually do not run as fast as full sized cards due to size limitations.( however you can try looking around for a more powerful low profile card than i have linked maybe amd has one slightly better)

G

Could you give me a build for it? Keep it as powerful as you can for $250 (if you can scratch off $50 so my son can get some games) And I also do have 3 1gb ram sticks and 1 2gb stick except it is DDR2 so maybe you could find a mobo that supports it? Thanks