[SOLVED] Will network cards work with onboard LAN disabled

sethduncan17

Prominent
Jan 12, 2019
I disabled my onboard LAN in bios cause it was stopping my pc from booting because my router broke and the pc was connected via ethernet, and it messed up the ethernet port in a bad lightning storm. I was wondering if I could use a network card with an ethernet plug even if I have onboard LAN disabled. Thank you in advance.

Solution
You should be able to use either a USB/Ethernet adapter to connect to the router using a USB port on the PC

or

by using a PCIe ethernet network card to connect PC and router via an Ethernet cable.

Just ensure that all other network adapters (e.g., onboard ethernet adapter and wireless adapter (if present) are disabled.

Be sure to download the necessary drivers via the manufacturer's website, install, and configure the adapter as applicable to your router and home network.

Did you purchase or otherwise get another router? If so, I recommend that you purchase the network adapter from the same manufacturer.

Before you buy, take the time to read the applicable installation and configuration instructions via the Quick Start...

Ralston18

Titan
You should be able to use either a USB/Ethernet adapter to connect to the router using a USB port on the PC

or

by using a PCIe ethernet network card to connect PC and router via an Ethernet cable.

Just ensure that all other network adapters (e.g., onboard ethernet adapter and wireless adapter (if present) are disabled.

Be sure to download the necessary drivers via the manufacturer's website, install, and configure the adapter as applicable to your router and home network.

Did you purchase or otherwise get another router? If so, I recommend that you purchase the network adapter from the same manufacturer.

Before you buy, take the time to read the applicable installation and configuration instructions via the Quick Start documentation and the adapter's User Guide/Manual.

Solution