Question Will putting your mousepad slightly off the edge of your table cause more chance of fraying/ripping?

ShangWang

Respectable
Mar 26, 2021
Is there any difference in the distribution of weight/friction that is put across the mousepad which can cause fraying/ripping if put slightly at the edge of a table vs completely flat on one?

I'm using a SteelSeries QcK Gaming Surface and like to keep it slightly off the edge of my table since my wrist sometimes rests there, will this lead to my mosuepad wearing out faster in any way?

ShangWang

Respectable
Mar 26, 2021
I think, when it protrudes out of the table, it is at the mercy of the sharpness of the edges. Every time you rest your wrist on it, it is likely to bend slightly. Here, the quality of the material will dictate its life. A good quality pad should not wear out easily.
I see, so on a pad without stitching having a mousepad slightly off the edge would technically cause it to wear slightly more.

I use a Glorious XXXL pad and the edge has been slipping over the edge of my desk over time,
This was not intentional.
Looking at it, the stitching on the edge still looks sound.
Yes, the edge may get frayed sooner if it overhangs.
I see no real problem; it is the surface where your mouse moves that is important.
I would not worry if it is comfortable to you.

Reactions: ShangWang

ShangWang

Respectable
Mar 26, 2021
I use a Glorious XXXL pad and the edge has been slipping over the edge of my desk over time,
This was not intentional.
Looking at it, the stitching on the edge still looks sound.
Yes, the edge may get frayed sooner if it overhangs.
I see no real problem; it is the surface where your mouse moves that is important.
I would not worry if it is comfortable to you.
Thank you, I'm not sure if I'm meaning something else when I say stitching, but I'm more so worried about the cloth top layer peeling off. Is this what is meant by fraying?

Moving the mousepad over the edge will slightly cause more fraying or cloth peeling?

ShangWang

Respectable
Mar 26, 2021
The edge of the desk is sharper than the top flat surface.

Over time, continued rubbing and contact WILL wear the mousepad away more in that area.
Though what exactly does fraying usually mean in context of mousepads? Will noticeable threads come loose from the cloth, or will the cloth itself start peeling off the rubber?

USAFRet

Titan
Though what exactly does fraying usually mean in context of mousepads? Will noticeable threads come loose from the cloth, or will the cloth itself start peeling off the rubber?
I have several mousepads, all different construction.
They'd all wear somewhat differently.

I'm just saying....whatever is in contact wit the edge of the desk will wear more than what isn't. Especially if your arm/hand/mouse rubs over that corner area.

Yes, the desk edge is sharp; glass, in my case.
But, any fraying on the edge will be caused by your wrist, and will be only on the edge, not where your mouse goes.
I can''t remember when I bought this particular pad. Probably 3/4 years ago, and I see no issues on the normal surfaces.
To date, the edge looks a bit worn, but not frayed.

I think you really do not have a problem unless the pad is somehow defective.

ShangWang

Respectable
Mar 26, 2021
No cloth separation, the bound edges just look a bit worn.
Hi, sorry for replying on this thread again, but I was also wondering how cloth and rubber put together on the non-stitched pads? Are they glued or stitched?

If it does use glue, will alcohol or vinegar or even getting the pad wet cause it to peel since it would unstick the glue?