Will running my PSU outside my case kill my PSU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

e56imfg

Distinguished
I have this crazy freaking annoying Athena 350w mini-ITX PSU and it is literally louder than my vacuum cleaner and a lawn mower combined. I just need a quieter PSU that will run outside my mini-ITX case until a few months from now when I'll build a brand new rig. I'm planning to get a Corsair CX430 V2 for now because it's extremely cheap for what it offers and it's quiet. If anyone has a better, cheaper, quieter option, please tell me. My PSU is driving me insane because I can't stand the noise. First, it makes a grinding sound, then a terribly annoying, high-pitched whine.

So getting on to my question, will running a PSU outside my case kill it? I'll build a little LEGO case (don't judge me) just for my PSU if I have to. Will the dust kill the PSU in a month? I just need it to run for at least 6-12 months until I save enough money for a brand new IB/ Keplar or 7000 rig.

HELP ME!!

I'd suggest buying a PSU that ya can actually use in your new build.......

One GFX card in new build - Get a 650 watter because anything smaller really doesn't save ya a lotta money.

Two GFX card in new build (maybe one at build time ad another later as an upgrade) - Get a 750 watter if ya GFX card budget is under $200 per card.

Two GFX card in new build (maybe one at build time ad another later as an upgrade) - Get a 850 watter if ya GFX card budget includes anything but a GTX580's

XFX Core Editions are crazy cheap......same jonnyguru performance rating as Corsair TX V2 series.

Corsair HX Series get 10.0 ratings except for the 100 / 1050.

Antec CP series is the bargain (10.0 rating for the 850 at $115) but it only fits 4 Antec cases.

Delirious788

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
You will be fine running it outside your case. Just make sure that it has good airflow and nothing metal will get inside and short it out and kill it...sounds like Legos are a perfect solution to help protect the psu, while it is housed outside.

e56imfg

Distinguished
Wow thanks for everyone's feedback! The LEGO computer case looks really awesome, wow. I got a load of LEGOs sitting in my closet that I'll probably clean and make a little case for my PSU.
Even though my PSU is making god-awful noises, I can assure you that it is fully functional and in good condition. I realized it was the tiny, tiny 40mm fan. It's running pretty cool all the time, too.
I plan on getting a small build that will use 430w because I don't have a lot of money to spend on a new build. I don't really play the most demanding games, either.

There's probably nothing electrically wrong with the PSU. Being a mini-ITX PSU, it probably has an 80 mm fan. And it's probably pretty loud.

e56imfg

Distinguished

Not even a 80mm fan, it's a terribly whiny 40mm fan. The fan makes all kinds of vibration noises and put that together with the PSU itself, and you get a Jet Engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.