Will the i3 4130 bottleneck XFX R9 280X?

Primordial Genesis

Reputable
BANNED
Jun 3, 2014

okay and err How bad would the bottleneck be? I've heard the R9 280X is the sweet spot for the i3.

makishima

Reputable
May 4, 2014
Don't listen to that guy, i3 isn't a low-end processor, you'll have a better performance in i3+280x than pairing a mid-range card to a high-end processor. You can get a B75 chipset for your i3, no need for a high-end mobo since you will not overclock but if have the money don't hesitate to buy an i5. That guy above me doesn't know what he's saying.

oh ok, take the advice of a complete noob that can't even type complete sentences.

makishima

Reputable
May 4, 2014
As long as he understands it I don't have a problem with it. Primordial Genesis, you'll thank me later, anyway... I still suggest you to get an i5.

EDIT: English is not my first language but I know what I'm saying

It will be OK in most games. But it will hold you back a bit in newer titles that want 4-8 cores for the best performance.

If you can upgrade to an i5 in the near future, that would be a very good match for an R9 280. I'd recommend the Devils Canyon i5 4690k coming out, sinbce it is the same price as haswell.

Primordial Genesis

Reputable
BANNED
Jun 3, 2014

B75 Chipset doesn't have the right socket type for the 4th gen CPU.

Planning to upgrade within 1 year, I've seen the results of the i3 in gaming, so i know exactly where it lands in terms of "high end or low end". It smashed every AMD CPU (Including 8320/8350) for gaming even in bigger titles such as BF4. And it even gave the i5 a run for it's money, but considering it's £40 cheaper, that's what's swayed me towards it. I'd rather take my £40 that I saved from the CPU and bucket it into the GPU, same goes for the mobo, the case and everything else tbh. Only exception I will make is for an SSD for quick OS Boot up times.