[SOLVED] Will the msi b450 tomahawk max be compatible with ryzen 3000 CPUs out of the box?

ProPlayerGR

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2016
Hello everyone. Msi b450 tomahawk max is being sold by a retailer in Greece right now and I wanted to ask if it will be compatible with ryzen 3000 CPUs out of the box. Also it is compatible with ryzen 2000 CPUs out of the box right? Thanks in advance.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Not necessarily. It depends on what BIOS the reseller ships with.
But the B450 Tomahawk is not technically "out of the box" compatible. it does need a later BIOS.

It needs at least V18 or V19.

2nd Gen Ryzen should be fine out of the box.

ProPlayerGR

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2016
You will need to update the bios for it to work. But the Tomahawk has bios flashback. So all you will need is to load the bios on a usb and follow the bios update instructions. So it will work, but it will take some work.

2nd gen will work without doing anything.
I'm talking about the max version though, it just released. Are you sure the max version needs a bios update?

Reactions: Kazzong
Jul 14, 2019
Yes, the Max series is compatible out of the box with ryzen 3000, as well as supporting 2000. There is just a larger bios chip than the non Max version of those boards.

Jul 14, 2019
I have not heard of the Max, but looking at the info from MSI, it looks like it will work. Go for it. The Tomahawk is a good board.
The MAX version is a stopgap

MSI put out the Max versions of a few popular boards because they needed something that would work right away with ryzen 3000. It just has a larger bios chip, and comes with the newer bios that R 3000 needs. I guess the smaller chip was having some performance issues.

Last edited:

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
Yep,
Kazzong is 100% right.
It will be compatible with the 3000 and 2000 Ryzen CPUs out of the Box.
The new MSI MAX motherboards have a 32 MB BIOS chip so you will have the full UI BIOS instead of the Lite (text only) BIOS they had to use on the older boards that had a 16 MB BIOS chip.
Supports 1st, 2nd and 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™ / Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics and 2nd Gen AMD Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Graphics / Athlon™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics Desktop Processors for Socket AM4
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B450-TOMAHAWK-MAX/Overview

Last edited: