Will these parts handle a GTX 750Ti?

MrNogi

Reputable
Jan 30, 2016
Hey,
It's my first post so sorry if I get things wrong around here. I've recently purchased a GTX 750Ti as it was on sale as part of a build that I'll buy the rest of when I get the cash. However, I wondered how well it would go in my current potato of a machine, and I was hoping you guys could help me with that.

My specs are:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
Kentsfield 65nm Technology 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 332MHz (5-5-5-15)
Dell Inc. 0TP412
Graphics L5AK5 (1024x768@75Hz) 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 640 (Gigabyte)
931GB HITACHI HUA721010KLA330 (SATA)
HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDRH20N
High Definition Audio Device
Dell KH624

I don't expect it to be able to, but if it could it would be a nice upgrade until I can get the rest of the parts for a fresh build. Cheers

Edit: Btw the GTX is an Asus model.

Solution
The 750Ti is the card we reccommend for OEM systems for a reason; It's because it'll run on nearly any >300W PSU, as long as it is the bus-powered version. Your Dell has a 375W PSU; even though OEM PSUs rarely output their rated wattage you still have 75W extra to account for that. Whoever told you it isn't enough is downright wrong; a simple search will show i'm right.

The CPU is a little too weak, but that doesn't mean the GPU won't work. It simply means that you won't be able to use the GPU upto it's full potential, since the CPU can't keep up with the GPU, causing what is called a bottleneck. Still, it will be a substancial improvement from the GT 640 you currently have, regardless of whether you have a bottleneck or not.

MrNogi

Reputable
Jan 30, 2016

I haven't taken it out of the grey wrapping yet, but as far as I can see with it on; it doesn't.
The only thing is I asked elsewhere and got a few replies - some saying the CPU may be a little too weak and another saying the PSU isn't good enough?

Chayan4400

Honorable
The 750Ti is the card we reccommend for OEM systems for a reason; It's because it'll run on nearly any >300W PSU, as long as it is the bus-powered version. Your Dell has a 375W PSU; even though OEM PSUs rarely output their rated wattage you still have 75W extra to account for that. Whoever told you it isn't enough is downright wrong; a simple search will show i'm right.

The CPU is a little too weak, but that doesn't mean the GPU won't work. It simply means that you won't be able to use the GPU upto it's full potential, since the CPU can't keep up with the GPU, causing what is called a bottleneck. Still, it will be a substancial improvement from the GT 640 you currently have, regardless of whether you have a bottleneck or not.

Solution